Double chocolate Ancho Chile and Almond Tart recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themonkeytree

Senior Cook
I asked a question about this tart and someone asked for the recipe so here it is.

Crust
8 Tbls unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ancho chile powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 Tbls unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all purpose flour

Almonds
1 cup slivered almonds, chopped
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Filling
1 ancho chile
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbls Amaretto

To prepare the crust, beat the butter sugar, cinnamon, chile powder, and salt together with an electirc mixer until creamy. Add the canilla and cocoa and beat until the mixture forms a smooth paste, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and mix only until just combines. Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press it into and 8-inch disk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 45 minutes.

Roll the dough out between pieces of plastic wrap into an 11 inch circle. Peel off the top piece of plastic wrap and inver the pastry into a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the pastry into the sides of the pan and peel away the other sheet of plastic wrap. Trim the dough to be even with the top of the pan and regrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Pric the bottom of the tart shell iwth a fork. Bake until the pastry is dry, about 12 to 14 minutes. Then cool it.

To prepare the almonds, put the almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven until lighlty browned, about 10 minutes. Toss with the sugar and cinnamon while still warm. Then set them aside.

To prepare the filling, put the ancho chile in a small bowl; cover with very hot waterand let steep until soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from the water and discard seeds and stem, and put chile in a blender with 1 Tbls of the water in which the chile was soaked. Blend until smooth; you should have about 1 Tbls of puree. Strain and set aside.

Place the chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small sauceban, bring the cream to a simmer over medium heat. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand for 1 minute. Stir until chocolate is melted and the mixutre is smooth. Stir in the ancho chile puree and the Amaretto.

To assemble, spread almonds on the bottom of the cooked tart shell. Pour the chocolate mixture over the almonds and spreat to form a smooth layer. Regrigerate until chilled and set, about 3 to 5 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, remove the tart from the refrigerator and take off the sides of the pan. Cover the tart with a stenicled design or doily and springle with cocoa powder.

It says serves 12 to 16, but I think those are really small pieces if you are getting that many servings out of it.

Not only is the dessert delicious, but it can be made the day before. To me there is nothing worse than having flour, cocoa powder, and any other baking mess the day of a party. Chocolate and flour seem to get everywhere when I use them, so i like knowing it is one less thing I have to worry about cleaning when I have people coming over.

That sounds very good - thanks for posting the recipe...I know you had problems with the crust, and I didn't realize it was baked by itself. Did you use pie weights when you baked the crust? If you don't have any, just line the tart pan with foil (on top of the crust) and fill with dried beans or something that distributes around the pan. That will keep your crust from collapsing.

I did not use any weights when I baked the crust. I was looking for some beans to use as weights and then relaized the recipe did not say to use pie weights, so I figured it did not need any.

How does putting beans or pie weights down help the side from melting away?

Back
Top Bottom