Easter key lime pie was TOO bitter/sweet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I found a 5 star rated key lime pie on foodnetwork and decided to make it for my guests at our Easter gathering. Turns out it was extremely bitter and sweet! Ick! I'm still eating what was left of it (which was quite a bit) since no one really enjoyed it. Thanks to my sister's green jello dessert and fruit salad and a bread pudding I made a previous day, the dessert part of the meal was saved.:ermm:

Here's what I used:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
2/3 cup fresh key lime juice
Baked for 10-15 minutes on regular graham cracker crust

I need a recipe that does not have so much "sweetness" and of course, I will do LESS key lime juice next time. Would corn starch help diminish the sweetness, or should I use more eggs (whole) or gelatin? Help!

The recipe I use has 1/2 cup lime juice (I use regular limes), 1 Tbsp grated lime zest, 4 large egg yolks, and a 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk. It has a good balance of tart and sweet.

Dina, I think you should take a look for a recipe that doesn't have condensed milk in it. I have found that sometimes it doesn't work as well with citrus flavours.

OK, this isn't "key lime" but it works with either lemon or lime. Give this one a try and tell me what you think. I don't use a pastry crust or a graham crust for this, I like shortbread instead, but you can do any crust you like.

Last edited:
I would expect the pie to be tart, but not bitter. The lim juice could have been at fault for that.

The sweetness can be adjusted by using half sweetened condensed milk and half evaporated milk.

A dash of vanilla will cut the tartness.

How about you all just make the pies and send them to me and I will tell you which one works best.

Like another person said, I'd use 1/2 cup of lime juice. But also, like they said, too much lime juice shouldn't really make it bitter, just more sour and acidic.

And regarding the sweetness, one thing I could think of is this (I"m really not trying to insult your intelligence... but we all make mistakes like this from time to time) did you make sure to use the right size can of condensed milk? I just made a key lie pie last weekend, and I nearly picked out too large of a can of sweetened condensed milk.

My recipe used 4 yolks, 14 oz of the milk, and 1/2 cup of lime juice, and it really turned out well. But a little on the sweet side.

Also, did you top it? with whipped cream or meringue? I would think that either one of those might help to soften any bitterness from the limes.

I'm a little late to the party, but the Nellie and Joe's Key lime pie recipe on the bottle of Nellie and Joe's key lime juice is the authentic recipe. Key limes have a much different flavor from the green Persian limes that are common here.

Key lime pie should be sweet and quite tart.

Key Lime Pie is the first thing that I go for when in Key West.

If you fresh squeezed your limes, perhaps that was what caused the bitterness, depending on how vigorous you were. Perhaps the bottled
type would be better, if not easier. It seems though that maybe it's just a bit too much lime juice, since the other recipe posted used only 1/2 a cup.
I love key lime pie, yum!

Bakechef
You are right on about the key lime pie. Its not the real thing without the real key lime juice. Substitutions dont cut it for me on this pie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom