Egg pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dplain

Assistant Cook
My grandmother cooked a delicious pie that she called an "egg pie". It was mostly sugar and egg yolks. Has anyone heard of it and if so, what is the recipe.

I think it would be a classic custard pie. Do a search for that on any food site and you'll find recipes. Another possibility, if it was VERY sweet, would be the southern chess pie--also just sugar and eggs. Custard pie will have some milk or cream.

You won't believe this, but a friend of mine from Texas just sent me his wife's recipe for Egg Pie. I haven't tried it yet, but this lady is one heck of a good cook.

Vivi’s crustless Egg Pie

3 tbs flour
3tbs oil
3 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup sugar or splenda equivalent
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp cinnamon

Grease and flour a pie pan.
Mix ingredients together until smooth then pour into prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set and browned.

If you want a pie with a crust, Google for Egg Custard Pie.
It's been years since I made one, but I think you have to start it of on high heat, then turn it down, like you would a pumpkin pie, so the crust doesn't get soggy. I'm thinking 400 for 15 minutes, then down to 325-250.

Gretchen said:
I think it would be a classic custard pie. Do a search for that on any food site and you'll find recipes. Another possibility, if it was VERY sweet, would be the southern chess pie--also just sugar and eggs. Custard pie will have some milk or cream.

I think this must be it. It was very very sweet and she did not put milk. It was a very thin pie. After cooking it, she always kept it cool in the refridgerator.

Back
Top Bottom