"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 06-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Everymom

I think she just needs the approximate size of the cartons Margi. A tin here is 14oz or 414ml. Is that the same size as your carton?

Old 06-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Meyer lemons were developed in China. They are a cross, thought to be between a lemon and mandarin orange, brought to the US in the early 20th century by USDA representative Frank N. Meyer. The name stuck.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
...Limes, If I am not mistaken, however, I need to look up the historical facts online, were from China or India or Persia ! So, what are KEY LIMES ?
A designation of Origin ...

Mexican limes, Sicilian Limes and Canary Island Limes all are slightly different, however, similar enough to create a FLORIDA STYLE KEY LIME PIE...
There are Persian (Tahiti) limes, (Florida) Key limes, kaffir limes, kalamansi (musk) limes and rangpur limes.

Key limes are smaller and more acidic than the more common Persian lime.

Craig is correct, If you call it Key lime pie, it should be made with key limes. Just as you should use Marsala when making Zabaglione Alla Marsala and not vin santo.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

We used to buy key lime juice when we went to FL. However, the Key limes I see in the store are the size of quarter, they are green, but they sure as heck are not the size of the "lime" one normally sees. I am unfamiliar with the limes cited, but the Key lime limes that I can buy are tiny. And I still want to know the trick to juicing the little buggers.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We used to buy key lime juice when we went to FL. However, the Key limes I see in the store are the size of quarter, they are green, but they sure as heck are not the size of the "lime" one normally sees. I am unfamiliar with the limes cited, but the Key lime limes that I can buy are tiny. And I still want to know the trick to juicing the little buggers.
I actually wait until they are a lemon color before picking them from my tree. Yes, they are very tiny, but pack a great flavor! We have a contraption that allows us to get the most juice from limes rolled, then cut in half. These little beauties pack seeds, so the device, which is very similar to a garlic press, only lets the juice through. Zest before cutting in half.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Gonna give it a go, thanks for sharing! One of my all time weaknesses!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I actually wait until they are a lemon color before picking them from my tree. Yes, they are very tiny, but pack a great flavor! We have a contraption that allows us to get the most juice from limes rolled, then cut in half. These little beauties pack seeds, so the device, which is very similar to a garlic press, only lets the juice through. Zest before cutting in half.
A picture of the device, please?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

When I let limes "sit," they turn yellow. Would this work with the wee tiny Key Lime limes (maybe keep them in water to keep the juice in)? Not a native fruit where I live, so any insight would be nice!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #19
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A picture of the device, please?
You can use a large garlic press, no problem

One of the WWW's best sites, lifehacker

http://lifehacker.com/5913870/use-a-...uice-key-limes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Condensed Milk: 14 Fl. Ounces Per Can In USA

After emailing a dear Chef friend of many years in Key West, he had advised me that a can of condensed milk in the USA is 14 fl. ounces.

Since, I only use cartons, each one is just slightly under 14 fl. oz. each.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margaux Cintrano.

Tags
fruit filling, lime, pie, recipe

Eva´s Key Lime Pie :yum: My Mom Eva, used to make Key Lime Pie, and strangely enough, I very rarely would bake one, as I could eat the whole pie by myself, so we would drive down to Key West ( Hemmingway Fans ) for a slice and an Espresso ... Here is my Mom Eva´s Recipe which I also make for special occasions, I just use Mexican Limes or Canary Island or Sicilian Limes ... Eva´s Key Lime Pie ... :cool: :wink: 2 large sweetened condensed milk, in cartons 6 eggs separated 1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice 1/2 tsp. gelatin 1/8 cup sugar ( I reduce even further as the condensed milk is quite sweet ) 1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust ( 6 oz. of Graham Crackers crushed ) 6 tblsps butter Filling ... :yum: 1. beat yolks until light and slowly pour in condensed milk. Dissolve gelatin over simmer bringing almost to a boil 2. when egg yolks and condensed milk are fluffy and creamy, pour in lime juice slowly and whip until thickened 3. pour into the Graham cracker crust 4. beat egg whites and the sugar until light and fluffy and cover top of pie, dust with powdered sugar ... Refrigerate ... *** Graham Cracker Crust ... :chef: Combine the crumbs & melted butter in a 9 inch pie tin and rub the crumbs between your fingers, until the crumbs are moistened and spread them. Spread loosely and then place a plate and press down on the crumbs. Remove the plate and smooth the edges and refrigerate before filling one hour ... Enjoy the Weekend, Happy Father´s Day. Ciao. Margaux Cintrano 3 stars 1 reviews