Eva´s Key Lime Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Essential Tool Lime Squeezer: www.surlatable.com

Tatt and CWS,

For a more efficient and quick way to squeeze lime juice, this heavy duty, powerful and efficient clamp style citrus squeezer, has proven to be very useful.

The price in USA currency is $20.00

The website: www.surlatable.com

I was able to squeeze eighteen limes to get 1/3 cup juice ...

Happy Father´s Day and have a nice Sunday,
Margaux Cintrano.

Alix,

As you can see I had to contact a chef friend in Key West, as I had thrown away the 2 cartons; thus, since I do not make a Lime Pie too often, maybe two or three times a year, I honestly did not know ... The info you and Cerise are requesting is in Post Number 20.

Have nice Sunday,
Margaux.

I actually wait until they are a lemon color before picking them from my tree. Yes, they are very tiny, but pack a great flavor!;) We have a contraption that allows us to get the most juice from limes rolled, then cut in half. These little beauties pack seeds, so the device, which is very similar to a garlic press, only lets the juice through. Zest before cutting in half.
i'm envious,i just can't find half the stuff you guy's talk about,ingredient or contraption wise,over here.limes(the bog standard ones we get over here) always seem harder to juice than lemons.saw a chef microwave them for 10 secs max then juice.certainly seems to work,get more juice & much easier to juice

Last edited:
You can use a large garlic press, no problem

2009_05_07-Press.jpg

One of the WWW's best sites, lifehacker

Use a Garlic Press to Juice Key Limes
Cool! I have that garlic press! Thanks! I have to run into the store today to get the bleach for which I have a rain check. I'm going to pick up Key Limes (if they still have them), juice them, and put the juice in the freezer for when I want to make a pie! Today I have to pick and process strawberries.

Last edited:
Gravy Queen,

A half teaspoon of gelatin plain ... It comes in little envelope packets ...

I use Mexican Limes and they are wonderful ... aromatic, and easy to work with.

Margi.

Lime Varieties & Origins: www.innvista.com

Buon Giorno,

According to the above titled website, Limes were cultivated as early as the year 100 B.C. in India and southeast Asia and in India, they are called Jambira.

In 1677, they were found in Mozambique, Africa.

The Varieties:

1. Tahitian: is a large lime that is pale green in color
2. Mexican: is a medium bright green color
3. Key Lime: is a small oval that is yellowish green in color and was brought to the Florida Keys by the Spanish in the 1500s. It was later cultivated in the 1880s.

Have a nice wkend.
Margi.

I run my garlic press through the dishwasher after I use a scrubbing brush on it to get any garlic residue out of it, so I assume it is aroma free. I have a pretty sensitive nose and I don't smell any garlic on it. We'll find out when I squeeze the limes!

CWS,

Sounds like you are already to make a Lime Pie ...

Please do note: The Portuguese were the key players in bringing the lime to NW Europe, the Mediterranean and The British Isles ... and Brazil ... The Spanish brought the Lime to the USA and of course South America and Mexico, Central Am., Cuba, D.R. and P.R. ( note: they do not use lemon commonly, the yellow variety ... )

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

Well that recipe looks dreamy Margi, I shall be trying this, with whatever limes I can get hold of. I dont know what a key lime is either.

My husband is a fan of Conny Onny as we call it here.

Quick question re gelatin, I know I can get hold of gelatin sheets, how many would you think I should use?

Thanks.
conny onny sarnie,that's a blast from the past gq....liver birds wonn'it?

Harry,

Key Limes are very tiny oval yellowish green limes from Key West, Florida ... The ones I use are Mexican, and are medium sized and very bright green.

Key Limes in Spain or Italia are relatively non existent ...

To make a Lime or Lemon Pie, any origin lime or lemon shall create a good pie ...

Kind regards,

Margi.

Is that a giant garlic press or are the limes really tiny? I couldnt fit a lime in my garlic press. I dont take much notice of where my limes are from but out of curiousity I shall look.

The biggest ones I ever saw in my life were in Peru, like rugby balls.

This thread has been moderated. Please stay on topic and BE NICE.

Discuss Cooking is intended to make all feel comfortable and welcome and we expect our members to post accordingly. You can review our rules here.

Please pay particular attention to the section on being nice - we take this very seriously!

Be Courteous! We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Treating each other with respect and kindness, and thinking before you speak will go a long way towards making this an enjoyable place. We take the "be nice" rule very seriously.

• Do not engage in personal attacks on public or private individuals or entities in posts or via the PM system.
  • Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • Do not post the same discussion more than once or in many forums.
  • The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.

Thanks much for the recipe, Margi.

Information on key limes:
Key lime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are smaller, more acidic, and more aromatic than the Persian variety. They are also yellow when ripe. In fact, the color of real key lime pie is more the color of banana pudding than the bright green you sometimes see with knock-offs.

Several years ago I discovered a product called Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. A lot of groceries sell it, but if not, you can order it online. If you want to bypass squeezing dozens of tiny little, expensive key limes, try it. This juice makes an excellent key lime pie.

Last edited:
Steve Kroll said:
Thanks much for the recipe, Margi.

Information on key limes:
Key lime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are smaller, more acidic, and more aromatic than the Persian variety. They are also yellow when ripe. In fact, the color of real key lime pie is more the color of banana pudding than the bright green you sometimes see with knock-offs.

Several years ago I discovered a product called Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. A lot of groceries sell it, but if not, you can order it online. If you want to bypass squeezing dozens of tiny little, expensive key limes, try it. This juice makes an excellent key lime pie.

I agree about Nellie &Joe's, Steve. Several years ago DH proudly presented me with a huge bag of key limes he got on sale. Took me hours to ream the little suckers into juice using a fork, and my hands still haven't recovered!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom