"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Harry,

Key Limes are very tiny oval yellowish green limes from Key West, Florida ... The ones I use are Mexican, and are medium sized and very bright green.

Key Limes in Spain or Italia are relatively non existent ...

To make a Lime or Lemon Pie, any origin lime or lemon shall create a good pie ...

Kind regards,

Margi.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #32
Head Chef

Is that a giant garlic press or are the limes really tiny? I couldnt fit a lime in my garlic press. I dont take much notice of where my limes are from but out of curiousity I shall look.

The biggest ones I ever saw in my life were in Peru, like rugby balls.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #33
Admiral of the Texas Navy

This thread has been moderated. Please stay on topic and BE NICE.

Discuss Cooking is intended to make all feel comfortable and welcome and we expect our members to post accordingly. You can review our rules here.

Please pay particular attention to the section on being nice - we take this very seriously!

Quote:
Be Courteous! We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Treating each other with respect and kindness, and thinking before you speak will go a long way towards making this an enjoyable place. We take the "be nice" rule very seriously.

• Do not engage in personal attacks on public or private individuals or entities in posts or via the PM system.
  • Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • Do not post the same discussion more than once or in many forums.
  • The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
Head Chef

I got some nice little Persian limes from Brazil well, from Tesco to try this.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #35
Wine Guy

Thanks much for the recipe, Margi.

Information on key limes:
Key lime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are smaller, more acidic, and more aromatic than the Persian variety. They are also yellow when ripe. In fact, the color of real key lime pie is more the color of banana pudding than the bright green you sometimes see with knock-offs.

Several years ago I discovered a product called Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. A lot of groceries sell it, but if not, you can order it online. If you want to bypass squeezing dozens of tiny little, expensive key limes, try it. This juice makes an excellent key lime pie.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
Thanks much for the recipe, Margi.

Information on key limes:
Key lime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are smaller, more acidic, and more aromatic than the Persian variety. They are also yellow when ripe. In fact, the color of real key lime pie is more the color of banana pudding than the bright green you sometimes see with knock-offs.

Several years ago I discovered a product called Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. A lot of groceries sell it, but if not, you can order it online. If you want to bypass squeezing dozens of tiny little, expensive key limes, try it. This juice makes an excellent key lime pie.
I agree about Nellie &Joe's, Steve. Several years ago DH proudly presented me with a huge bag of key limes he got on sale. Took me hours to ream the little suckers into juice using a fork, and my hands still haven't recovered!

Tags
fruit filling, lime, pie, recipe

Eva´s Key Lime Pie :yum: My Mom Eva, used to make Key Lime Pie, and strangely enough, I very rarely would bake one, as I could eat the whole pie by myself, so we would drive down to Key West ( Hemmingway Fans ) for a slice and an Espresso ... Here is my Mom Eva´s Recipe which I also make for special occasions, I just use Mexican Limes or Canary Island or Sicilian Limes ... Eva´s Key Lime Pie ... :cool: :wink: 2 large sweetened condensed milk, in cartons 6 eggs separated 1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice 1/2 tsp. gelatin 1/8 cup sugar ( I reduce even further as the condensed milk is quite sweet ) 1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust ( 6 oz. of Graham Crackers crushed ) 6 tblsps butter Filling ... :yum: 1. beat yolks until light and slowly pour in condensed milk. Dissolve gelatin over simmer bringing almost to a boil 2. when egg yolks and condensed milk are fluffy and creamy, pour in lime juice slowly and whip until thickened 3. pour into the Graham cracker crust 4. beat egg whites and the sugar until light and fluffy and cover top of pie, dust with powdered sugar ... Refrigerate ... *** Graham Cracker Crust ... :chef: Combine the crumbs & melted butter in a 9 inch pie tin and rub the crumbs between your fingers, until the crumbs are moistened and spread them. Spread loosely and then place a plate and press down on the crumbs. Remove the plate and smooth the edges and refrigerate before filling one hour ... Enjoy the Weekend, Happy Father´s Day. Ciao. Margaux Cintrano 3 stars 1 reviews