"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Eva´s Key Lime Pie

My Mom Eva, used to make Key Lime Pie, and strangely enough, I very rarely would bake one, as I could eat the whole pie by myself, so we would drive down to Key West ( Hemmingway Fans ) for a slice and an Espresso ... Here is my Mom Eva´s Recipe which I also make for special occasions, I just use Mexican Limes or Canary Island or Sicilian Limes ...

Eva´s Key Lime Pie ...

2 large sweetened condensed milk, in cartons
6 eggs separated
1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp. gelatin
1/8 cup sugar ( I reduce even further as the condensed milk is quite sweet )

1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust ( 6 oz. of Graham Crackers crushed )
6 tblsps butter

Filling ...

1. beat yolks until light and slowly pour in condensed milk. Dissolve gelatin over simmer bringing almost to a boil
2. when egg yolks and condensed milk are fluffy and creamy, pour in lime juice slowly and whip until thickened
3. pour into the Graham cracker crust
4. beat egg whites and the sugar until light and fluffy and cover top of pie, dust with powdered sugar ...

Refrigerate ...

*** Graham Cracker Crust ...

Combine the crumbs & melted butter in a 9 inch pie tin and rub the crumbs between your fingers, until the crumbs are moistened and spread them.

Spread loosely and then place a plate and press down on the crumbs.

Remove the plate and smooth the edges and refrigerate before filling one hour ...

Enjoy the Weekend,
Happy Father´s Day.
Ciao. Margaux Cintrano

Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Thank you for sharing!
I'm gonna try this! :)

Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Bolledeig, Buonasera,

Pleased to hear the good news ... Let me know how it turns out or if you have any questions ... It is delicious ...

Have Nice Wkend.
Ciao,
Margi Cintrano.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I'm sorry, if you are not using Key Lime juice, please don't call it a Key Lime Pie! It kills me no end when people use persian lime juice and zest, then call it Key Lime whatever. Big taste difference!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm sorry, if you are not using Key Lime juice, please don't call it a Key Lime Pie! It kills me no end when people use persian lime juice and zest, then call it Key Lime whatever. Big taste difference!
+1

Next season, when the Meyer lemons are available, I'm going to make a Meyer Lemon Pie using the recipe my mother clipped from a FL newspaper before I was born, it is put in a pastry pie shell (when I would make KL pie--and I did use Key Limes). What is the secret for juicing the little buggers, anyway? I eyeballed some at the store this week, but figured I had enough on my plate and wouldn't have time to make a KL Pie.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
It's true. I didn't realize how much difference there is between Key Limes and any other lime until I actually had the opportunity to buy some Key Limes. I sure wish they were available in these parts more often.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
My Mom Eva, used to make Key Lime Pie, and strangely enough, I very rarely would bake one, as I could eat the whole pie by myself, so we would drive down to Key West ( Hemmingway Fans ) for a slice and an Espresso ... Here is my Mom Eva´s Recipe which I also make for special occasions, I just use Mexican Limes or Canary Island or Sicilian Limes ...

Eva´s Key Lime Pie ...

2 large sweetened condensed milk, in cartons
6 eggs separated
1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp. gelatin
1/8 cup sugar ( I reduce even further as the condensed milk is quite sweet )

1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust ( 6 oz. of Graham Crackers crushed )
6 tblsps butter

Filling ...

1. beat yolks until light and slowly pour in condensed milk. Dissolve gelatin over simmer bringing almost to a boil
2. when egg yolks and condensed milk are fluffy and creamy, pour in lime juice slowly and whip until thickened
3. pour into the Graham cracker crust
4. beat egg whites and the sugar until light and fluffy and cover top of pie, dust with powdered sugar ...

Refrigerate ...

*** Graham Cracker Crust ...

Combine the crumbs & melted butter in a 9 inch pie tin and rub the crumbs between your fingers, until the crumbs are moistened and spread them.

Spread loosely and then place a plate and press down on the crumbs.

Remove the plate and smooth the edges and refrigerate before filling one hour ...

Enjoy the Weekend,
Happy Father´s Day.
Ciao. Margaux Cintrano
I'm confused by this recipe. How much condensed milk? (Don't think I've seen it in cartons, but what would the total amount be?)

How much sugar?

"Dissolve gelatin over simmer" - not clear. Is some of the recipe missing?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Craig, Buonasera,

Firstly, this is a complicated issue ... You see, Italians, call American Italian cuisine, "AMERICAN STYLE ITALIAN CUISINE " so I could say, this is an American style Paella ( SPAIN ) or an AMERICAN STYLE PASTA ( ITALIA )...

Secondly, lemons were brought to the Mediterranean in 712 (to Sicilia and Valencia ) by the Moors which were a group of tribes from Persia, Siria, Pakistan, Turkey etcetra ... So, what are MEYER LEMONS ? A Brand of USA Lemons ...

Limes, If I am not mistaken, however, I need to look up the historical facts online, were from China or India or Persia ! So, what are KEY LIMES ?
A designation of Origin ...

Mexican limes, Sicilian Limes and Canary Island Limes all are slightly different, however, similar enough to create a FLORIDA STYLE KEY LIME PIE.

We are quite busy getting ready for the Bruce Springstein Concert tomorrow in Madrid ...

Have a nice Wkend.
Margaux.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Cerise.

Firstly, Dissolve the gelatin in simmering water ...

Sugar: up to you as I add none as Condensed Milk is quite sweet for us ...

2 Cartons of Condensed Milk ... I had thrown the 2 cartons out last nite ...
I believe they sell it abroad, in Canada and The USA -- it is common in Latin American desserts.

Sorry, I cannot be of further assistance.

Have nice wkend.
Margaux.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Not complicated at all, if the limes used are not Key Limes then your pie isn't a Key Lime Pie! There is no such thing as "style" when you are talking about something named after the main ingredient. BTW, what you are calling Mexican limes are probably the same as key limes.

Tags
fruit filling, lime, pie, recipe

Eva´s Key Lime Pie :yum: My Mom Eva, used to make Key Lime Pie, and strangely enough, I very rarely would bake one, as I could eat the whole pie by myself, so we would drive down to Key West ( Hemmingway Fans ) for a slice and an Espresso ... Here is my Mom Eva´s Recipe which I also make for special occasions, I just use Mexican Limes or Canary Island or Sicilian Limes ... Eva´s Key Lime Pie ... :cool: :wink: 2 large sweetened condensed milk, in cartons 6 eggs separated 1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice 1/2 tsp. gelatin 1/8 cup sugar ( I reduce even further as the condensed milk is quite sweet ) 1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust ( 6 oz. of Graham Crackers crushed ) 6 tblsps butter Filling ... :yum: 1. beat yolks until light and slowly pour in condensed milk. Dissolve gelatin over simmer bringing almost to a boil 2. when egg yolks and condensed milk are fluffy and creamy, pour in lime juice slowly and whip until thickened 3. pour into the Graham cracker crust 4. beat egg whites and the sugar until light and fluffy and cover top of pie, dust with powdered sugar ... Refrigerate ... *** Graham Cracker Crust ... :chef: Combine the crumbs & melted butter in a 9 inch pie tin and rub the crumbs between your fingers, until the crumbs are moistened and spread them. Spread loosely and then place a plate and press down on the crumbs. Remove the plate and smooth the edges and refrigerate before filling one hour ... Enjoy the Weekend, Happy Father´s Day. Ciao. Margaux Cintrano 3 stars 1 reviews