Eva´s Key Lime Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:yum: My Mom Eva, used to make Key Lime Pie, and strangely enough, I very rarely would bake one, as I could eat the whole pie by myself, so we would drive down to Key West ( Hemmingway Fans ) for a slice and an Espresso ... Here is my Mom Eva´s Recipe which I also make for special occasions, I just use Mexican Limes or Canary Island or Sicilian Limes ...

Eva´s Key Lime Pie ... :cool: ;)

2 large sweetened condensed milk, in cartons
6 eggs separated
1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp. gelatin
1/8 cup sugar ( I reduce even further as the condensed milk is quite sweet )

1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust ( 6 oz. of Graham Crackers crushed )
6 tblsps butter

Filling ... :yum:

1. beat yolks until light and slowly pour in condensed milk. Dissolve gelatin over simmer bringing almost to a boil
2. when egg yolks and condensed milk are fluffy and creamy, pour in lime juice slowly and whip until thickened
3. pour into the Graham cracker crust
4. beat egg whites and the sugar until light and fluffy and cover top of pie, dust with powdered sugar ...

Refrigerate ...

*** Graham Cracker Crust ... :chef:

Combine the crumbs & melted butter in a 9 inch pie tin and rub the crumbs between your fingers, until the crumbs are moistened and spread them.

Spread loosely and then place a plate and press down on the crumbs.

Remove the plate and smooth the edges and refrigerate before filling one hour ...

Enjoy the Weekend,
Happy Father´s Day.
Ciao. Margaux Cintrano

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolledeig, Buonasera,

Pleased to hear the good news ... Let me know how it turns out or if you have any questions ... It is delicious ...

Have Nice Wkend.
Ciao,
Margi Cintrano.

I'm sorry, if you are not using Key Lime juice, please don't call it a Key Lime Pie!:mad: It kills me no end when people use persian lime juice and zest, then call it Key Lime whatever. Big taste difference!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, if you are not using Key Lime juice, please don't call it a Key Lime Pie!:mad: It kills me no end when people use persian lime juice and zest, then call it Key Lime whatever. Big taste difference!
+1

Next season, when the Meyer lemons are available, I'm going to make a Meyer Lemon Pie using the recipe my mother clipped from a FL newspaper before I was born, it is put in a pastry pie shell (when I would make KL pie--and I did use Key Limes). What is the secret for juicing the little buggers, anyway? I eyeballed some at the store this week, but figured I had enough on my plate and wouldn't have time to make a KL Pie.

Last edited:
It's true. I didn't realize how much difference there is between Key Limes and any other lime until I actually had the opportunity to buy some Key Limes. I sure wish they were available in these parts more often.

:yum: My Mom Eva, used to make Key Lime Pie, and strangely enough, I very rarely would bake one, as I could eat the whole pie by myself, so we would drive down to Key West ( Hemmingway Fans ) for a slice and an Espresso ... Here is my Mom Eva´s Recipe which I also make for special occasions, I just use Mexican Limes or Canary Island or Sicilian Limes ...

Eva´s Key Lime Pie ... :cool: ;)

2 large sweetened condensed milk, in cartons
6 eggs separated
1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp. gelatin
1/8 cup sugar ( I reduce even further as the condensed milk is quite sweet )

1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust ( 6 oz. of Graham Crackers crushed )
6 tblsps butter

Filling ... :yum:

1. beat yolks until light and slowly pour in condensed milk. Dissolve gelatin over simmer bringing almost to a boil
2. when egg yolks and condensed milk are fluffy and creamy, pour in lime juice slowly and whip until thickened
3. pour into the Graham cracker crust
4. beat egg whites and the sugar until light and fluffy and cover top of pie, dust with powdered sugar ...

Refrigerate ...

*** Graham Cracker Crust ... :chef:

Combine the crumbs & melted butter in a 9 inch pie tin and rub the crumbs between your fingers, until the crumbs are moistened and spread them.

Spread loosely and then place a plate and press down on the crumbs.

Remove the plate and smooth the edges and refrigerate before filling one hour ...

Enjoy the Weekend,
Happy Father´s Day.
Ciao. Margaux Cintrano

I'm confused by this recipe. How much condensed milk? (Don't think I've seen it in cartons, but what would the total amount be?)

How much sugar?

"Dissolve gelatin over simmer" - not clear. Is some of the recipe missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig, Buonasera,

Firstly, this is a complicated issue ... You see, Italians, call American Italian cuisine, "AMERICAN STYLE ITALIAN CUISINE " so I could say, this is an American style Paella ( SPAIN ) or an AMERICAN STYLE PASTA ( ITALIA )...

Secondly, lemons were brought to the Mediterranean in 712 (to Sicilia and Valencia ) by the Moors which were a group of tribes from Persia, Siria, Pakistan, Turkey etcetra ... So, what are MEYER LEMONS ? A Brand of USA Lemons ...

Limes, If I am not mistaken, however, I need to look up the historical facts online, were from China or India or Persia ! So, what are KEY LIMES ?
A designation of Origin ...

Mexican limes, Sicilian Limes and Canary Island Limes all are slightly different, however, similar enough to create a FLORIDA STYLE KEY LIME PIE.

We are quite busy getting ready for the Bruce Springstein Concert tomorrow in Madrid ...

Have a nice Wkend.
Margaux.

Cerise.

Firstly, Dissolve the gelatin in simmering water ...

Sugar: up to you as I add none as Condensed Milk is quite sweet for us ...

2 Cartons of Condensed Milk ... I had thrown the 2 cartons out last nite ...
I believe they sell it abroad, in Canada and The USA -- it is common in Latin American desserts.

Sorry, I cannot be of further assistance.

Have nice wkend.
Margaux.

Not complicated at all, if the limes used are not Key Limes then your pie isn't a Key Lime Pie!:rolleyes: There is no such thing as "style" when you are talking about something named after the main ingredient.;) BTW, what you are calling Mexican limes are probably the same as key limes.

I think she just needs the approximate size of the cartons Margi. A tin here is 14oz or 414ml. Is that the same size as your carton?

Meyer lemons were developed in China. They are a cross, thought to be between a lemon and mandarin orange, brought to the US in the early 20th century by USDA representative Frank N. Meyer. The name stuck.

...Limes, If I am not mistaken, however, I need to look up the historical facts online, were from China or India or Persia ! So, what are KEY LIMES ?
A designation of Origin ...

Mexican limes, Sicilian Limes and Canary Island Limes all are slightly different, however, similar enough to create a FLORIDA STYLE KEY LIME PIE...

There are Persian (Tahiti) limes, (Florida) Key limes, kaffir limes, kalamansi (musk) limes and rangpur limes.

Key limes are smaller and more acidic than the more common Persian lime.

Craig is correct, If you call it Key lime pie, it should be made with key limes. Just as you should use Marsala when making Zabaglione Alla Marsala and not vin santo.

We used to buy key lime juice when we went to FL. However, the Key limes I see in the store are the size of quarter, they are green, but they sure as heck are not the size of the "lime" one normally sees. I am unfamiliar with the limes cited, but the Key lime limes that I can buy are tiny. And I still want to know the trick to juicing the little buggers.

We used to buy key lime juice when we went to FL. However, the Key limes I see in the store are the size of quarter, they are green, but they sure as heck are not the size of the "lime" one normally sees. I am unfamiliar with the limes cited, but the Key lime limes that I can buy are tiny. And I still want to know the trick to juicing the little buggers.

I actually wait until they are a lemon color before picking them from my tree. Yes, they are very tiny, but pack a great flavor!;) We have a contraption that allows us to get the most juice from limes rolled, then cut in half. These little beauties pack seeds, so the device, which is very similar to a garlic press, only lets the juice through. Zest before cutting in half.

Last edited:
I actually wait until they are a lemon color before picking them from my tree. Yes, they are very tiny, but pack a great flavor!;) We have a contraption that allows us to get the most juice from limes rolled, then cut in half. These little beauties pack seeds, so the device, which is very similar to a garlic press, only lets the juice through. Zest before cutting in half.
A picture of the device, please?

When I let limes "sit," they turn yellow. Would this work with the wee tiny Key Lime limes (maybe keep them in water to keep the juice in)? Not a native fruit where I live, so any insight would be nice!

A picture of the device, please?

You can use a large garlic press, no problem

2009_05_07-Press.jpg

One of the WWW's best sites, lifehacker

http://lifehacker.com/5913870/use-a-garlic-press-to-juice-key-limes

Last edited:
Condensed Milk: 14 Fl. Ounces Per Can In USA

After emailing a dear Chef friend of many years in Key West, he had advised me that a can of condensed milk in the USA is 14 fl. ounces.

Since, I only use cartons, each one is just slightly under 14 fl. oz. each.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margaux Cintrano.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom