Filled apples with top crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I had a couple of young men at my house last night to learn how to butterfly (spatchcock), and roast a chicken. I also taught them how to make a yummy version of rutabagga, and a side of seasoned rice. While these things were cooking, one of them asked; "What's for desert?"

I didn't have anything planned, but had seen this - Apple Pie Baked In The Apple Recipe - Food.com - 507064
while perusing around on the WWW. So I decided to try them, of course by doing it on the fly.

I took four sweet apples, had the young men cut the tops off, then hollow them out with a Tupperware melon baller. We added 1/4 cup of sugar to the apple innards, along with 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon. I stirred that up and set it aside to allow the sugar to pull some of the moisture out of the apples.

We made a quick pie crust from 1 cup of flour, plus 1/4 tsp. of salt. The young men were shown how to add lard, a bit at a time, and cut it in until they had the pea-gravel crust. A ouple of tablespoons of cold water was folded into the crust, and the whole thing was rolled out on a floured work surface, again by my students (if you can call them that. I had one of them cut the crust into strips for a lattice crust top.

I showed them how a pool of syrup and formed from the macerated apples, and added 2 tbs. of flour to make a thin past. We then added 2 tbs. of butter to the bowl and nuked it for three minutes. The filling was then spooned into the apples, and the crust was laid on top.

The apples went onto a wrack, over a pan, and into the convection oven and 350' for 20 minutes. The results looked just like the picture from the link, and tasted really great, just like apple pie, with just enough flaky crust to add texture and crust flavor. I will make this desert again. It is such a great desert. I recommend this recipe to everyone who loves apple pie.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-pie-baked-in-the-apple-507064

That sounds so good! Thanks.

A question---- you said:

"I showed them how a pool of syrup and formed from the macerated apples, and added 2 tbs. of flour to make a thin past. We then added 2 tbs. of butter to the bowl and nuked it for three minutes. The filling was then spooned into the apples, and the crust was laid on top. "

Is this what you meant? (excuse my dense-ness):

You took the apple bits that were scooped out from the apple, added sugar, messed them up a bit (macerated) which made a syrupy mix,, added some flour then some butter and nuked for a few minutes.

I just want to make sure I understood because this will be on my To-Do list for sure!

Sounds good. Do you leave the peels on the apples?

Yes, you just cut the top off, and use a mellon baller to scoop out the apple meat, leaving enough to create an apple shell. So you get the health benefits of the peeling, and all of the apple-pie flavor as well. If you use Stevia or Spenda (which I don't use anymore), it's a diabetic friendly apple pie, sort of. you don't get all of the carbs that you would with a regular pie, plus you get the natural pectin (fiber) from the apple peel. There's just enough flaky crust to make it taste like a pie.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

@ cheif:

I assume that my question about clarification of your directions was correct?

Post # 4

@ cheif:

I assume that my question about clarification of your directions was correct?

Post # 4

Yes it was. The apple innards, mixed with the sugar, cinnamon, butter, and flour become the filling. You can also add nutmeg if you so desire. Make sure to remove the apple seeds.

And for post number #7, you simply peel and cube the rutabaga, boil it until tender, drain, season with salt, then add 2 tbs. brown sugar, and butter. Mash and serve as a hot side dish. The young men really loved this version. Me, I like rutabaga any way I can get it. Sometimes I even grate it, and add it to col slaw. Some times it goes into boiled dinneror is mashed with potatoes. It's great when you add just a little bit with potato soup, or when served up seasoned with S&P beside corned beef. The flavor is similar to cabbage, but sweeter. Diced small, it's a must for pasties.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks Chief. I'm just lately getting interested in rutabagas and the only thing I've done with them so far is cube them and put them in veggie soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom