"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 12-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

First Time Cinnamon Roll making...question

I am looking at a recipe and it says to combine the milk, oil and sugar and scald the mixture. Exactly what is this step for? The heat so the yeast will work correctly?

If so, could I throw everything in the breadmaker and put it through the dough cycle?

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Head Chef

Thats how I make mine - I put the dough in the bread machine and let it do all the work. Then I roll them out, fill them, cut them into rolls and put them in the fridge overnight for a slow rise. Then I bake them in the morning.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Head Chef

Lora Brody has three cookbooks that use the bread machine like that. Then, she takes the dough out, fills, shapes and rises it or refrigerates and does it in the morning. If you like to do that I recommend her books:

1. Bread Machine Baking
2. Pizza, Focaccia, Flat and Filled Breads For Your Bread Machine: Perfect Every Time
3. Desserts from Your Bread Machine

She gives variations of each recipe according to manufacturer of bread machine.

I have all three books. However, I prefer to use my kitchenaid to mix the dough and knead and then, finish kneading by hand. I just don't see why the bread machine is really necessary if I am not going to bake in it and I have had the misfortune of having a blow-out and trying to clean it was very difficult. So, my bread machine experience was not a good one.

Cinnamon rolls sound very good right about now. I love the way the house smells when they are in the oven.

Tags
None