Flora B's Peach Cream Pie--TNT 100 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May make a blueberry cream pie this weekend. Or maybe mote of a crisp. :)

You might have to adjust the amount of flour so the filling sets...I have to work today (I work from home, so I can take a break and do something else), but I'm really tempted to try the recipe with rhubarb...let us know if you try this with blueberries.

I will let you know if I try it with blueberries. Got lazy today and just made brownies!

YUM...thanks CWS :chef:

I thought this made it in the Forum--but here it is again:

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
3-4 medium peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut in half
3/4 c sugar
3-4 T flour
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4+ c half-and-half cream

Preheat oven to 450 with oven rack in the middle.
1. Peel, pit, and cut peaches in half
2. Place cut-side down on the pie shell.
3. Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
4. Sprinkle dry ingredients over peaches.
5. Place pie pan in the oven, pour 1/2 and 1/2 over peaches in pie pan.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 450, reduce heat to 350, and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

I usually put a cookie sheet under it in case it boils over.

Let chill (although we never do). Cover leftover (if there is any) with clear wrap and keep in fridge.

You are welcome. It is the only sweet pie I make. I'm just not a pie person. Flora B. was one of my great grandmother's sisters. The family was 100% Norwegian and lived in Minn-e-SOOOOta. According to my dad, Flora didn't like to bake, so she would make this because she didn't have to make a 2nd crust and she didn't have to slice the peaches. Whether that is true or not, I have not idea--long before my time. My great grandmother ate this, my grandmother did, my dad still does, I eat it, and my cousin's daughters eat it. It's been around for several generations in our family. There aer similar recipes on the Internet, but not quite the same as this one.

You do have to put it in the fridge (we eat it at room temp) and it is lovely for breakfast (the first three people out of bed in our 5-member family got the pie....I always make sure I get a piece for breakfast--even if I have to hide it in the fridge). I like to blind bake the crust for about 7 minutes. That's my adjustment to the recipe.

Last edited:
I got perfect Ontario peaches to make this either tomorrow or Saturday. Ummmmmm---can hardly wait! If I can resist and if my camera is working, I will post a pic.

CWS--"I thought this made it in the Forum--but here it is again":

and I thought I c/p your Pie recipe. And shure 'nuff I did. I should know by now to check origanal posting dates. :ROFLMAO:

Some years are better than othesr for Peaches. This year, I have been having good luck with Colorado peaches. Good scent and good texture and great flavor. I already made peach pies once ( little ones) and have just been slicing and eating with ice cream. Laziest/ best summer dessert ever.

However,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what's the point of Saving a recipe but to use it. :ohmy: I have a bowl of peaches and I am going to make your pie when I am more energetic in the a.m. I have milk and heavy cream>>> I'll figure my own half and half it. And I better hold off on the ice cream tonight.

That is very similar to my Missouri grandma's rhubarb pie. Cut enough rhubarb to fill the bottom of the crust, pour the cream mix over the top. The rhubarb will float, and the contrast of sour rhubarb with sweet custardy goodness is just perfect. I don't have her recipe handy--you might need a bit more sugar for rhubarb than for peaches.

I've had to wait for the right peaches--they have to be fuzzy. I have meant to try this with rhubarb, but I'm not a big rhubarb fan (although I loved the rhubarb ice cream I made in June).

My grandma made a rhubarb cream pie, similar to Sparrowgrass's grandma's, and I loved it. I do love all things rhubarb.

We've been disappointed with the peaches we've gotten so far, will have to check out the roadside stands, and look for the Colorado peaches.

Our peaches here in NC, the ones from the farmer's market have been so sweet and delicious this year. The ones from the grocery store, not so much, mainly from California. Seems weird that the grocery stores have CA peaches when we grow them right here and they are fantastic!

Kylie1969 said:
I love the sound of the rhubarb cream pie DL..do you have a recipe somewhere for it?

Sadly, I don't, Kylie. I think CWS was going to try swapping in rhubarb for peaches in this recipe.

I was but didn't and now the rhubarb season is done. I would probably use about 4 c rhubarb, 1 to 1-1/2 c sugar, cinnamon, 2-3T flour, and 3/4 c to 1 c half and half. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Instead of pouring the sugar over the rhubarb, I'd probably toss the rhubarb with the sugar, cinnamon and flour, put in a pie crust that was blind baked for about 7 minutes, and then top with the cream.

I made CWS Peach Pie this mornin’. That’s 2, count ‘em two, of her recipes of hers I have made in recent weeks.
I think this makes me Officially In Love. With her cooking. I hope we need not stop meeting like this. At least not soon anyway. And I have to reinforce, I am not one to follow recipes by the book real often.
This is a good recipe.
I used 4 ½ peaches ( extra half = cook’s treat) while the pie baked.
Kylie I will dig out my favorite rhubarb pie recipe and post it separate in the Desserts section.

I made CWS Peach Pie this mornin’. That’s 2, count ‘em two, of her recipes of hers I have made in recent weeks.
I think this makes me Officially In Love. With her cooking. I hope we need not stop meeting like this. At least not soon anyway. And I have to reinforce, I am not one to follow recipes by the book real often.
This is a good recipe.
I used 4 ½ peaches ( extra half = cook’s treat) while the pie baked.
Kylie I will dig out my favorite rhubarb pie recipe and post it separate in the Desserts section.

I'm so humbled--I am just a rudimentary cook. Glad you liked it. I know what you are having for breakfast tomorrow--you have to have a slice of the peach cream pie. It is the BEST breakfast. Trust me, I've been eating it for breakfast every peach season since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

When I take my parents to Lake of the Woods in August (missed this year), I will make the crust at home, pack it in the cooler, and blind bake it the cabin, and then make the pie. My cousins/aunt usually come to visit and they expect Peach Cream Pie. We kept this recipe a "secret" for years, but then when my mom, who doesn't cook, was asked to contribute a recipe to the cookbook for the clinic where she worked and she coughed it up, well, it was out there, so now I can share it.

Camping at the farm--no ground cinnamon. I ground cinnamon sticks in the coffee grinder. An improvement to the recipe--2 cinnamon sticks, finely ground. The other thing I did was add 1 T of vodka to the pie crust dough--my pie crust has always been flaky-flaky, but that addition of vodka makes a huge difference--it is so frigging flaky--I didn't know pie crust could get any flakier. (I did still add cider vinegar-1 T, 5 T of ice water and I used 1/2 lard, 1/2 Crisco). I think I should hide the pie and not let the DH eat any of it when he gets out here to the farm--it is soooooo good. Wait until I email my bro and tell him how to improve the recipe!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom