"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I've had to wait for the right peaches--they have to be fuzzy. I have meant to try this with rhubarb, but I'm not a big rhubarb fan (although I loved the rhubarb ice cream I made in June).

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My grandma made a rhubarb cream pie, similar to Sparrowgrass's grandma's, and I loved it. I do love all things rhubarb.

We've been disappointed with the peaches we've gotten so far, will have to check out the roadside stands, and look for the Colorado peaches.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Our peaches here in NC, the ones from the farmer's market have been so sweet and delicious this year. The ones from the grocery store, not so much, mainly from California. Seems weird that the grocery stores have CA peaches when we grow them right here and they are fantastic!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My grandma made a rhubarb cream pie, similar to Sparrowgrass's grandma's, and I loved it. I do love all things rhubarb.
I love the sound of the rhubarb cream pie DL..do you have a recipe somewhere for it?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969

I love the sound of the rhubarb cream pie DL..do you have a recipe somewhere for it?
Sadly, I don't, Kylie. I think CWS was going to try swapping in rhubarb for peaches in this recipe.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

I was but didn't and now the rhubarb season is done. I would probably use about 4 c rhubarb, 1 to 1-1/2 c sugar, cinnamon, 2-3T flour, and 3/4 c to 1 c half and half. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Instead of pouring the sugar over the rhubarb, I'd probably toss the rhubarb with the sugar, cinnamon and flour, put in a pie crust that was blind baked for about 7 minutes, and then top with the cream.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I made CWS Peach Pie this mornin’. That’s 2, count ‘em two, of her recipes of hers I have made in recent weeks.
I think this makes me Officially In Love. With her cooking. I hope we need not stop meeting like this. At least not soon anyway. And I have to reinforce, I am not one to follow recipes by the book real often.
This is a good recipe.
I used 4 ˝ peaches ( extra half = cook’s treat) while the pie baked.
Kylie I will dig out my favorite rhubarb pie recipe and post it separate in the Desserts section.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I made CWS Peach Pie this mornin’. That’s 2, count ‘em two, of her recipes of hers I have made in recent weeks.
I think this makes me Officially In Love. With her cooking. I hope we need not stop meeting like this. At least not soon anyway. And I have to reinforce, I am not one to follow recipes by the book real often.
This is a good recipe.
I used 4 ˝ peaches ( extra half = cook’s treat) while the pie baked.
Kylie I will dig out my favorite rhubarb pie recipe and post it separate in the Desserts section.

I'm so humbled--I am just a rudimentary cook. Glad you liked it. I know what you are having for breakfast tomorrow--you have to have a slice of the peach cream pie. It is the BEST breakfast. Trust me, I've been eating it for breakfast every peach season since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

When I take my parents to Lake of the Woods in August (missed this year), I will make the crust at home, pack it in the cooler, and blind bake it the cabin, and then make the pie. My cousins/aunt usually come to visit and they expect Peach Cream Pie. We kept this recipe a "secret" for years, but then when my mom, who doesn't cook, was asked to contribute a recipe to the cookbook for the clinic where she worked and she coughed it up, well, it was out there, so now I can share it.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Camping at the farm--no ground cinnamon. I ground cinnamon sticks in the coffee grinder. An improvement to the recipe--2 cinnamon sticks, finely ground. The other thing I did was add 1 T of vodka to the pie crust dough--my pie crust has always been flaky-flaky, but that addition of vodka makes a huge difference--it is so frigging flaky--I didn't know pie crust could get any flakier. (I did still add cider vinegar-1 T, 5 T of ice water and I used 1/2 lard, 1/2 Crisco). I think I should hide the pie and not let the DH eat any of it when he gets out here to the farm--it is soooooo good. Wait until I email my bro and tell him how to improve the recipe!

Tags
cream