For those who don't like Pumpkin Pie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefJune

Master Chef
this one, for some reason, always wins them over!

My mom didn't like the texture of pumpkin pie. (Neither do I.) So she always made this pie for Thanksgiving. No matter how many she made, there was never anything left at the end of the day!

NELLE'S PUMPKIN CHIFFON PIE

makes one 9-inch pie

1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup COLD water
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon mace
1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin
3 extra large egg yolks
1/2 cup milk

Meringue:
3 extra large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar

1. Soak the gelatin in cold water. Mix brown sugar, salt and spices in top of double boiler. Stir in pumpkin.

2. Now beat egg yolks until light, and blend in milk. Blend this mixture into pumpkin mixture and mix thoroughly. Place over boiling water and cook until mixture thickens and flavors are blended, (about 10-15 minutes) stirring frequently. Remove from heat and beat in soaked gelatin. Use whisk to blend completely.

3. Cool mixture until it begins to set (about 15-20 minutes), then beat until fluffy with whisk.

4. Make a stiff meringue by beating egg whites with cream of tartar to points. Gradually beat in sugar. Fold meringue into pumpkin mixture.

5. Pour mixture into baked, cooled pie crust, or use a graham cracker crust, if you like. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.

June, thanks for the recipe. I've bookmarked it. I loathe pumpkin but if you say it will win me over I will believe you. I'll give it a go, maybe for Christmas dinner.

What Alix said. I don't do pumpkin, but I'll try anything..... thrice?
:)
thanks!

Not like pumpkin pie??...I'm a picky eater, and I LOVE pumpkin pie!! Pumpkin and Apple are my two favorites. I will still try this recipe though.

I was looking for something different to make for Christmas. This will be the 2nd time I've cooked the whole meal by myself for my parents. The 1st time I attempted to make a pumpkin cheesecake and while I'm pretty sure it came out like it was supposed to, it just wasn't good in general. This looks like the perfect thing but I have 1 question... what is mace and how hard is it to find, is there another name for it? Or if I can't find it, is there something I can sub or should I just leave it out?

I have had the same experience with Nick Malgieri's pumpkin pie recipe. It is light and folks who claim they don't like pumpkin pie have always liked this one and it is dead simple to make.

I have also made sweet potato or squash pies when I know people don't like pumpkin. They also offer a nice change of pace.

Never mind, I found some. $47 a pound... Is this stuff made of gold or something?

Mace is the outer rind of a nutmeg. It can be found ground at spice stores like Penzey's or even in most grocery stores. It is not particularly expensive. It has a sharper stronger taste than nutmeg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom