Freezing apple pies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumpershere2

Head Chef
I have several apples I need to use up and would like to make apple pie. I then would like to freeze them. So when do you freeze apple pie, before it is baked or after? Has anyone froze an apple pie with good results?Thanks for any help here.

Hello! Freezing apple pie can be done both before or after baking (depending on your ingredients) If you are using yeast in your dough it will not rise too well after it has been frozen.

You can freeze the apple pie before freezing IF your filling is a cooked one.

I would freeze the pie before baking. Wrap it VERY well.. I've done it many times. (Just pretend you're Mrs. Smith, lol! :LOL: )

Adnan... why would you use yeast in a pie crust? I cannot imagine doing that. :huh:

Mrs. Smith's pies (I do confess to using them sometimes) have a sort of half-baked shell--baked enough to be solid, but unbaked enough to allow for browning when the pie is popped in the oven by the consumer.

Myself, I'd just freeze the pie filling--especially considering the room I have available in my freezer. Good luck!

ChefJune said:
Adnan... why would you use yeast in a pie crust? I cannot imagine doing that. :huh:
No not in a pie crust, I guess this applies more to cake or bread. I have had something that was more like bread dough topped with apples and sugar. I guess I would call this apple cake or applebread and not applepie. The point is yeast doesn't work too well after freezing. (unless its dry yeast but I guess it would be quite a challenge to prepare dough while keeping the dry yeast dry in the process :LOL:)

what kind of yeast do you use? In my experience the yeast doesn't work as well after freezing.

adnan said:
what kind of yeast do you use? In my experience the yeast doesn't work as well after freezing.

I think it depends on what you are freezing rather than the kind of yeast. Think about frozen bread dough.
But it needs to thaw and rise, of course.

Thank you all for the help. Guess I will freeze the filling. SO then I cook the apples I will use in the filling with all the spices and sugar and flour? Sounds good to me I guess.I am running out of room in the freezer too

I've frozen whole, unbaked pies with unbaked filling without a problem. I usually just add an extra tablespoon or so of flour so that the pie's not too overly juicy. I bake it from the frozen state, just tacking on another 10-15 minutes in baking time. You look for the same thing in doneness as you would a fresh pie--golden crust on top and bottom and juices from the filling bubbling out of the top.

PS--I'm moving this down to the pie forum for you.

Back
Top Bottom