Freezing Pies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I was just looking through a cookbook I picked up at the library. It was suggested that pies could be made in advance and frozen for later use. Has anyone had any success doing this? Whats the best process so I don't get those freezer crystals?

I've never tried it first hand, but maybe you could put a piece of wax paper on the top crust and then wrap with saran to avoid the crystals or freezer burn.

Hopefully someone with first hand experience will come along.

I generally freeze the pie uncooked. Then when I cook it later it is fresh tasting and yummy. I just toss mine into the freezer and once it is frozen I bag it in a ziploc.

I do the same as Alix, usually adding a layer of wax paper and foil before sliding the pie in a zip-lock. Out of curiosity, do you all let the pie thaw before baking or just pop it in the oven frozen? (I do the latter)

I'm moving this to the dessert/pie forum.

I've only ever frozen my apple pie. I never have a soggy bottom problem. It takes awhile longer to cook, but just like I'd do with a "fresh" pie, I simply cover it with foil if it starts to get too brown.

Think about how you can work ahead for your baking job, marm! Especially for the holidays! (I never freeze pumpkin pies though--the filling always pulls away from the crust.)

I freeze rhubarb, blueberry, saskatoon, apple and several combinations of the above. And no to the soggy bottom bit. I have mentioned before that I rub a little flour onto the bottom crust before putting the filling in. I think that helps gel the stuff closest to the crust so that less moisture seeps in to get it sogged out. Does that make sense?

I freeze all kinds of pies, for the fruit pies I line the crust with about 1/8 cup crushed frosted flakes before adding the fruit, for veggie pies(pot pies for example) I line the crust with about 1/8 cup crushed corn flakes.

No soggy bottoms here! = )

Back
Top Bottom