Frozen Chicken Pot Pie - thaw first, or cook frozen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChicagoLarry

Assistant Cook
I've seen conflicting advice about this at various internet links. If someone who is actually experienced in this can answer fairly definitively, that would be great.

I bought this HUGE uncooked, unfrozen chicken pot pie at Costco. It has a bottom pastry crust and wide pastry lattice strips on top.

I froze it uncooked.

I figure the simplest thing would be to thaw it in the refrig for a couple of days, then cook according to directions. But I wonder if that will screw up the pastry part—like making it soggy or something.

So my question is, should I go that route, OR should I go directly from freezer to oven? If the latter, I suppose I should cook covered for a while, until I think it's thawed, and maybe at a slightly lower temperature than called for. No?

Any advice from a confident source would be appreciated! Thanks.

If it were me, I'd start out frozen and uncovered. Keep an eye on it and if the crust starts to get to dark, just cover lightly with a piece of foil. You don't have to tuck it around the pie tightly just lay it on top.
kadesma

I vote with Kadesma. I also wouldn't lower the oven temp at all. I think if you thaw it out first the crust will be very soggy. We bake pies frozen without thawing so I would think this would work the same way.

I will agree with Kadesma and jabbur as well. Go right from freezer to oven. Keep the original baking temp. Only cover (just lay a piece of foil on top like Kadesma said) if you notice the top getting too dark. I would guess you will end up adding an additional 20 minutes to your cooking time.

If it were me, I'd start out frozen and uncovered. Keep an eye on it and if the crust starts to get to dark, just cover lightly with a piece of foil. You don't have to tuck it around the pie tightly just lay it on top.
kadesma

This is to thank all the wonderful people who replied. I'll attach this to the one who replied first, as you all had essentially the same answer. That's great!

And again, many thanks.

Larry

I'm really surprised that it didn't have recommended cooking directions. If it were me and I was in doubt, I'd call the place that I bought it from and ask that department.

If it were me and I was in doubt, I'd call the place that I bought it from and ask that department.
He bought it at Cosco. I don't know about where you live, but where I live I would not trust the advice of the people who work in that department. They are not authorities. They are minimum wage workers (or maybe slightly higher) who are working to pay off their first car while in high school. Of course this is not every employee, but my point is that the workers at stores like that are not trained on the food. They are shown how to stock shelves and ring on the register.

He bought it at Cosco. I don't know about where you live, but where I live I would not trust the advice of the people who work in that department. They are not authorities. They are minimum wage workers (or maybe slightly higher) who are working to pay off their first car while in high school. Of course this is not every employee, but my point is that the workers at stores like that are not trained on the food. They are shown how to stock shelves and ring on the register.

Actually instructions were included, but the pie is sold fresh and they didn't address cooking it frozen.

As for Costco, there's much I dislike about it, but I think you've sold their meat department short. I'm not a studied expert on it, but from what I can tell, I think their meat department really is quite professional and well trained in what they do.

I am glad they are professional and know what they are doing by you. I wish the stores by me took a lesson from your Cosco.

Actually instructions were included, but the pie is sold fresh and they didn't address cooking it frozen.

As for Costco, there's much I dislike about it, but I think you've sold their meat department short. I'm not a studied expert on it, but from what I can tell, I think their meat department really is quite professional and well trained in what they do.

Ours is the same way Larry. Both Sams and Costco.
I think I would treat it as any other pot pie. Pull it out and pop it in on a cookie sheet. Give it at least an hour at 350 and then check it.

yes cook pot pie frozen

Awesome pie, I had to freeze it. Cooked it tonight, put it oven , middle rack, 375, with foil on rack (gotta catch bubble over), cover frozen costco pie with foil. Bake 1 hour. Remove foil. Continue baking 1 1/2 hours. Maybe add some minutes depending on your oven. Make salads and invite friends. Feeds 6 small eaters. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom