Fruit Tart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Uncle Bob, that looks so good I'm about to go get a spoon from the kitchen! Beautiful work - kudos to you. Bet Mrs. UB enjoyed it, too.

She sure did!! She also was the "Head Chef"...When it comes to baking I only act as Sous Chef....I did do the decorating however....Can't you tell????;)

That looks sooooo delicious! I'll have a slice, please. ;)
There are two ways to make a fruit tart. One is the way you did it, baking the pastry cream in the shell and then adding the fruit on top. Back in my catering days, I had a client who would order "A Little Something Kiwi" every month. (That was a tart filled with Frangipane custard and topped with kiwi slices that I glazed with apricot jam.)

The other kind of fruit tart has the fruit baked in the tart. Here is the recipe for my favorite one of those:

Pear Tart (with Browned-Butter Custard)

Marsha Nelson, my first formal Pastry Instructor, created this delicious dessert. The browned butter adds an unexpected depth of flavor and the positioning of the pears on the tart shell makes it pleasing to the eye, as well.

makes one 11-inch tart to serve about 12

Special Pâte Sucrée:
1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
10 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, chilled
2 egg yolks beaten lightly
4 drops pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon water (or so)

Preparation for pastry:
1. By hand: Stir dry ingredients together with a fork. Drop in cut-up fat, and cut into flour with a pastry blender, fork, 2 knives, or with cool fingertips until fat particles are very small and thoroughly coated with flour. Gradually stir in liquid with a fork until dough holds together when squeezed with your fingertips. [It is better to add a little too much liquid than not enough since a slightly wet dough is easily rectified by the addition of more flour. A dough that is too dry will crack and crumble when it is rolled out.] Gather into a ball, flatten into a disc about ¾-inch thick, and refrigerate after wrapping well. “Resting” is necessary to allow the gluten to settle so your dough will roll out evenly and easily.
2. By food processor: Using metal blade, add all dry ingredients to work bowl. Process for 2 seconds to blend. Add VERY COLD cut up fat. Process with about 8 short bursts, until fat is in small pieces, evenly distributed and well coated with flour. Position liquid over feed tube, turn machine on, and gradually pour liquid in until dough begins to come together, but before it forms a ball. Prepare for refrigeration as before.

Procedures for baking:
Roll out dough to even thickness. Shape in desired pan(s), and prick with a fork. Chill in refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line shell with parchment paper or foil, and pie weights (dried beans, rice, and/or metal purchased pie weights are good.)
After baking 15 minutes, carefully life out paper and weights. Re-prick shell and return to oven an additional 10-20 minutes, until golden brown. Bake the crust completely if you¹re using a cream or chiffon filling.
Baking Blind: (partial baking, especially for quiche)
Follow above procedure, except bake for only 12 minutes before removing weights to oven for only 5 more minutes.

Filling:
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons flour
3 extra large eggs
2 tablespoons Cognac
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (6 ounces)--use the best quality butter you can find, melted until it's dark brown (and smells like toasted hazelnuts)
2 large pears (Comice or Anjou, preferred)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Combine cardamom, sugar, flour, eggs and Cognac until well blended. Stir in butter. Set aside.
2. Divide dough into 2 or 3 pieces if cold, and knead gently between hands until malleable. Roll out on lightly floured surface. Carefully transfer into 11-inch tart pan. Refrigerate until pears are prepared.
3. Peel, quarter and core pears. Slice lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices, leaving them connected -- if possible -- at the "neck" end of the pears, and gently open into a fan shape. Arrange on the chilled crust to resemble a flower petal pattern. Pour custard over pears. Bake in the preheated oven about 1 hour, or until browned. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.

Teacher’s Tip: In season, red raspberries or tiny wild strawberries make a colorful garnish.

I use a recipe in which the shell is baked then adding the pastry cream and topping with fruit.

Back
Top Bottom