Gluten free pumpkin pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would just go without a crust, it is a baked custard, afterall. I've also made a crust out of finely chopped pecans, cinnamon sugar and butter (similar to a graham cracker crust) for pumpkin pies.

Your pecan crust sounds so delicious, PF!

I would love the recipe for that yummy pecan crust.

I just swap out the same amount of pecans for the crushed graham crackers so;

2 cups crushed pecans, how crushed is your preference from small chop to fine
6 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar...I mix my own cinnamon sugar, basically sugar to your taste and add cinnamon.

I've heard of people using crushed Pralines or honey roasted, too.

Back when we were doing Atkins, I came up with this (then found out I was not original:ROFLMAO:), I was using Splenda for the sugar.

I love the idea of substituting nuts for graham crackers. Do you toast the pecans when you make this crust? I'm guessing that toasting would enhance the flavor.

I love the idea of substituting nuts for graham crackers. Do you toast the pecans when you make this crust? I'm guessing that toasting would enhance the flavor.

Either works, I do like the toasted. Almonds are also good, I like using smoked almonds for savory cheesecakes and quiches.

No problem! Post the recipes when you can. I'm looking forward to making a gluten free quiche!

Just a side note- for any recipe that contains flour, you could always use buckwheat flour, which is naturally gluten free. You can find it at natural food stores. Buckwheat is a fruit, but it has a lot of the same properties of grains.

Oh that's interesting. I didn't know buckwheat was a fruit. Does buckwheat flour alter the taste of recipes that call for wheat flour?

kitchengoddess8 said:
Oh that's interesting. I didn't know buckwheat was a fruit. Does buckwheat flour alter the taste of recipes that call for wheat flour?

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea. I do just fine with gluten, so I have not tried it. I just recently decided to start making my own bread, and I happened to come across that little tidbit yesterday. When I saw the gluten free post I just thought, "What great timing!" lol

Back
Top Bottom