Gluten free pumpkin pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh that's interesting. I didn't know buckwheat was a fruit. Does buckwheat flour alter the taste of recipes that call for wheat flour?

It does. It has it's own flavour and it isn't a wimpy flavour like white flour ;)

I didn't realize it was gluten free. I just use it for variety. I like it for crepes, partly because it doesn't lump. I guess that's because of the lack of gluten.

Buckwheat may not be a cereal or related to wheat, but I doubt it's a fruit. A fruit is a biological gift from the plant. I think buckwheat is just seeds.

taxlady said:
It does. It has it's own flavour and it isn't a wimpy flavour like white flour ;)

I didn't realize it was gluten free. I just use it for variety. I like it for crepes, partly because it doesn't lump. I guess that's because of the lack of gluten.

Buckwheat may not be a cereal or related to wheat, but I doubt it's a fruit. A fruit is a biological gift from the plant. I think buckwheat is just seeds.

Actually fruit tempts animals into carrying the seeds that the fruit contains, so it's not really a gift. And as I said, buckwheat IS a fruit. It is sometimes called a seudocereal to emphasize that is is not a cereal or grain. It is a dry fruit, with a seed like appearance, and it does contain a seed. Fruits like this are called achenes, and you can read about them here if you would like: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achene

Fascinating info about buckwheat. Thanks for sharing this! My digestive system doesn't tolerate most grains, but my nutritionist said that buckwheat would be good for me. No wonder!

Yes, I find that I have to read labels carefully because some of the soba noodle products contain wheat as well as buckwheat.

You could get a pasta maker and make your own soba noodles :) a pasta maker is the next kitchen gadget I'd like to purchase. I had home made ravioli at a friends and it was to die for!!! Would love to start making my own lasagna noodles, too. Fresh pasta is so much better!

Great idea. Which pasta maker are you thinking of getting? Last night on TV I saw that one of the KitchenAid stand mixers has a pasta attachment.

Probably just the hand crank kind that clamps onto the counter. Nothing fancy- I don't have a stand mixer. Too expensive! I'm trying to get some money in the bank for a new car so I try to keep my spending to a minimum. One of the reasons I've decided to make my own bread is because the 12 grain kind I like is so expensive! I still have a couple loaves in the freezer from the last time it was on sale that I have to use up before I want to start tho

Actually fruit tempts animals into carrying the seeds that the fruit contains, so it's not really a gift. And as I said, buckwheat IS a fruit. It is sometimes called a seudocereal to emphasize that is is not a cereal or grain. It is a dry fruit, with a seed like appearance, and it does contain a seed. Fruits like this are called achenes, and you can read about them here if you would like: Achene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was using the biologist's definition of fruit. It makes all that tasty stuff just so someone will carry the seed away. It's a gift with a "catch" :LOL:

taxlady said:
I was using the biologist's definition of fruit. It makes all that tasty stuff just so someone will carry the seed away. It's a gift with a "catch" :LOL:

Gotcha ;) It's a gift that I enjoy accepting too! Although I don't do very much seed spreading; don't tell the plants!! Lol

Thanks, Taxlady! Do you have a recipe for buckwheat crepes? Sounds yummy!

I don't have a recipe with quantities. I take an egg and beat it with about a quarter cup of milk and about 1 tblsp of oil. Then I whisk in buckwheat flour until the consistency of heavy cream. I leave the whisk in the bowl, because the buckwheat tends to sink and needs to be whisked back into the batter. I usually add milk once or twice before the batter is used up.

I make round crepes. Heat a skillet until a drop of water dances, but doesn't evaporate immediately. Grease the pan with a bit of butter or oil. Pour some batter into the pan, while tilting/turning the pan to spread the batter. You want the thinnest possible layer of batter. When tiny bubbles have formed and broken through, over a good portion of the crepe, flip it over. When the crepe will slide again, it should be done.

I don't recommend a non-stick pan for this. It makes it too hard to get the batter to stick to the pan and make a crepe instead of a pancake.

I use these for (not very authentic) Swedish pancakes. It's a dessert. Spread a bit of strawberry jam on one, roll it up, sprinkle with granulated sugar. I also do it with applesauce and sometimes add whipped cream. Since there is no sugar in the recipe, I'm sure it would work fine for a savoury crepe.

Back
Top Bottom