Goodweed's Baked Pumpkin Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok kids. This is what I'm planning and I need some help. This is kind of related to pumpkin pie ala-mode and so I placed it here. But it's not really a pie. In fact, I don't know what it is. I'm planning on removing the seeds and threads from miniature pumpkins, and baking them with brown sugar, cinamon, ginger, and nutmeg. I'm hoping for a pumpkin pie custard flavor. But obviously, the pumpkin meat won't be mixed with evaporated milk and egg. I know from past experience that I can easily make this taste good. But I want it to taste just like the pumpkin custard, or as close as possible without the egg and milk.

After the pumpkins are done, they will be allowed to cool some, and then have vanilla ice cream scooped into them and served with whipped cream. So I have two questions.
1. What would be the spice ratios and how much per mini-pumpkin?
2. What do I call it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You are going to have to eyeball the spices since it's hard to tell without seeing the size of the gourd, ya know..? Like pumpkin pie, more cinnamon, less cloves. You might want to add a slice of butter along with the brown sugar. It will keep the flesh moist. When you remove them from the oven, let them cool for a moment, and then fluff the insides with a fork, like you would a baked potato. That will give you the light and airy texture you'd associate with pie.
If you could get your hands on cinnamon ice cream......:w00t2:

Sounds like a very healthy dessert. Nice idea.

I do much the same as Vera suggested GW, I do use some butter in mine as well..When my mother-in-law was alive she loved the small sweet dumpling squash and I'd make them this way but at the end I'd also add a tablespoon or so of sour cream and some well chopped walnuts..The lady usually ate two of the baked squash each time..So today I still make them the same way, brown sugar,cinnamon, a pinch of cloves,butter,sour cream and chopped walnuts.

kadesma:)

I've modified the idea some. Instead of cooing the pumpkin with brown-sugar and spices, I'm going to use the pumpkin shells as the "crust for pumkin custard. That is, I'm going to make the filling for pumpkin pie and pour it into the unbaked mini pumpkins. then, I'll bake it as I would a pumpkin tart, allowing extra time for the pumpkin shell to cook. Then, I'll top with the ice cream to make a great presentation at the table. I'll be making a test run this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. And, thanks everyone for the assistance.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I worked!:mrgreen: I filled miniature pumpkins (abuot 4 to 5 inches in diameter) with pumpkin pie filling. I then baked them at 350 degrees for about an hour. The result was great. The shells kept their bright orange color while the filling baked up just as if in a pie shell. I cooked the tops for 1 minute in the microwave and set them on top. I only made 2 of the as this was an experiment. The rest of the uncooked filling is sitting inside a sealed tupperware container in my fridge. My wife and I could hardly wait to try them.

I usually make my pumpkin pie filling with Slenda to cut the carbs. Now, I've found a way to automatically limit the portion size, remove the pie crust (lots of fats and carbs there:glare:) and the presentation is great. I think I'll serve a scoop of vanila ice cream on the side.

This technique is a winner. I'm going to use it for Thanksgiving as well.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

ok, so you scooped out all the pumpkin and used canned pumpkin pie filling? This sounds great and I would love to do the same at Thanksgiving. As much detail as you can give I would appreciate it!

Chef Jen, wouldn't your cinnamon ice cream be good with this? mmmmmmmmmmm :)

Way to go, Goodweed! As always, you're creative and healthy! Like elf, I'd love to know if you used the innards of the pumpkins or canned pumpkin. I'll be trying this idea, too, at some point.:)

PS--Goodweed, I'm changing the name of the thread so more folks can see you latest creation!

I did this with little pumpkins. I did not scoop the meat out of the pumpkin, just the seeds and goo. Filled them most of the way to the top with the same mix I use for pumpkin pie (recipe on the back of the Libby's pumpkin can). Baked on a foil covered cookie sheet til the custard was set. Added a plop of whipped cream at serving time.

The kids loved them.

sparrowgrass said:
I did this with little pumpkins. I did not scoop the meat out of the pumpkin, just the seeds and goo. Filled them most of the way to the top with the same mix I use for pumpkin pie (recipe on the back of the Libby's pumpkin can). Baked on a foil covered cookie sheet til the custard was set. Added a plop of whipped cream at serving time.

The kids loved them.

Sparrowgrass, that's exactly what I did. I found out though, in the tasting, that the cooked pumpkin, though tasty in its own right, was sour by comparison with the filling. The next time I make it, I will combine Splenda, a little butter, and a touch of mollases together and rub the pumpking flesh with the mixture, to sweeten it a little.

I cooked the pumpkin tops in the microwave so that they could be placed on top of the desert. I think this desert woul be spectacular with whipped cream flavored like eggnog (add a bit of nutmeg to the cream before whipping it) and then set the pumpkin top on the mound of whipped cream.

Maybe some rum-flavored extract might be good mixed with the whippped cream as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom