Goodweed's Chocolate Pie Crust, Happy Discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My cousin's son made his first goal in a hockey game on Friday. At the beginning of the season, I had promised him a chocolate cream pie for when he made his first goal (first season playing hockey). His little sisters can be rather energetic, and so to make good on my promise, and to give his mother a bit of a break, I took his two of his sisters, one a sweetheart, but somewhat picky 9 year-old, and her younger, but overly energetic 7 year old into my home and let them help me make the pie for their ledest brother (ten or eleven year old). To make a long story short, I made a crust with abnormal ingredients (found I was out of both lard and shortening), and had the youngest sister ruin the first crust attemp. The second attempt made a unique crust that had the texture and flavor of the outside cookies on an ice-cream sandwhich. The filling came out great as well. And so I'm sharing yet again.

Crust:
1 1/2 cups a.p. flour
6 tbs. Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/8 cup cooking oil
water

Combine flour, salt, cocoa powder, and sugar together in a large bowl. Cut in the butter. Slowly drizzle in the oil while continuing to cut in until a crumbly mixture is achieved. This will be somwhat wetter than if you were to use lard or shartening, but will still form the flour granules. Add water while stirring to make a dough slightly drier than buiscuit dough. Place into a buttered pie pan and spread with finger tips until smooth along the bottom and sides. Flute the top edge all the way around. Place another pie pan, this time buttered on the outside, into the crust so that it will hold its shape. Do not push firmly down on the pan. Let it rest in as far as gravity will take it. Place into a 425' F. oven and bake for ten minutes. Remove and place in your freezer (I had -5' F. porch to put mine in to cool it quickly). Make the filling and let cool for ten minutes. Pour the filling into the pie crust and chill for another hour.

Filling:
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, cut in small pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar, chocolate, cornstarch and salt in the top section of a double boiler. Stir in the milk. Gently whisk the mixture over boiling water, for about 10 minutes Continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to simmer and let cook for ten minutes more.

Beat the egg yolks until creamy. Temper them by slowly stirring 1 cup of the chocolate filling into the yolks. Add 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Stir the egg mixture into the double boiler. Turn the heat to medium and stir the chocolate filling for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour filling into a baked pie shell.

Refrigerate for an hour and top with Chantilly Cream (Vanilla flavored whipped cream). Dust with cocoa powder. Serve.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom