Goodweeds Pecan Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Janis Dohmann's Pecan Pie

Ingredients:
1 flaky pie crust, unbaked
2 Eggs, Slightly Beaten
1 Cup Light Corn Syrup
1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla (good vanilla)
1-1/4 Cups Broken Texas native pecans

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
Spread pecans in an unbaked 9-inch pie shell.

Mix remaining ingredients and pour over pecans.

Bake at 375 deg F. for 40 to 50 minutes or until filling is set.

TIPS:

1. Cover the edges of the pie crust with aluminum foil about halfway through baking to prevent crust from getting too brown before the pie is done.

2. For best results, be sure to use only Texas native pecans. (Of course in Michigan, where I live, Texas Native Pecans are pretty hard to come by, so I just used what was available:chef:.) If you insist on using hybrid pecans or pecans grown in some other state, don't complain to us if you aren't happy with the way your pie turns out.

3. Note that this recipe calls for Light Corn syrup (we use the Karo brand). Many people use dark syrup in their pecan pies but we find that this gives the pies a rather strong taste and a darker, less appealing texture.

I don't know who this woman is, found the recipe with a google search. But she definitely knows how to make an excellent pecan pie.

Sounds great -- but then, there's no such thing as bad pecan pie. :pig:

As I've mentioned before, my mother was renowned for her skills as a baker. Both my mom and dad were nuts about pecan pie, and it was always one of the desserts on the table for holidays and other special occasions.

Sometime in the late 1950s or 1960s, Dear Abby, the newspaper advice columnist, raved about the pecan pie she had at the Phoenix Hotel in Lexington, Kentucky. She said that she begged the pastry chef for the recipe, and offered it to any of her readers for the asking. My mother sent away for it, and I still have it in her recipe book. It quickly became the family favorite.

The recipe for Abby's Pecan Pie is available on line. I've checked it against the original, and it's accurate. Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/oj3a3

I've also scanned the original -- I'd post it here but there may be some concern about copyright. If anyone wants a copy, e-mail me and I'll shot it off to you.

If the original is the same as the link then I think we are good Fry Boy. Thanks for the recipe.

Pecan Pie

When you were all talking about Pecan Pie it reminded me that every February a restaurant called Marie Callendars gives out a free pie when you eat there.

It is in Southern California in the San Fernando Valley and they have the best pies. Of course I am not saying that any of you excellent chefs can't make a delicious pie.

Marie Callendars also sells frozen food in our markets but there is nothing like the original receipe.

shpj4 said:
When you were all talking about Pecan Pie it reminded me that every February a restaurant called Marie Callendars gives out a free pie when you eat there.

Marie Callendar's is a chain throughout SoCal, and I've never known them to give away anything. Pies are inexpensive, but not free, AFAIK.

Pecan Pie

I printed out your directions for the Pecan Pie. Even though I get my groceries delivered I don't have everything in the house to make the pie. I am excited and will let you know how it comes out.

FryBoy

I apolize for saying they give you a free pie. I meant to say that for $5.99 you can get any pie that they make and they charge you a deposit for the pie tin.

When you return the pie tin they reimburse you.

Again I am sorry about the mistake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom