Granddaddy's Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbarainnc

Senior Cook
This is my grandfathers recipe. He would make dumplings from pie crust dough. Make up some pie crust dough and roll out. Make it big enough to overlap a cereal bowl. Put in blackberries to fill the bowl and then overlap the dough to cover the berries. Turn the dumplings out into a 9 by 13 in glass dish. Put the smooth nice side up. I think 6 will fit in the pan. Bake at about 350*-375*until the dough is brown. Make this sauce while the dumplings are baking. Mix some sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and add evaporated can milk to make a sauce. Stir well and refrigerate. When they are ready to eat, put your dumpling in a bowl and put the sauce on top. Enjoy !!!!! He made these with apples or blackberries.

In that style of cooking, what exactly is a dumpling? I've only known the asian version, meat and vegetables bound with egg or flour and wrapped in dough, then fried or boiled, so when i hear about dumplings of dough, or the dish chicken and dumplings, i'm utterly onfused.

? about Dumplings

I'm from CA. Lived in Vista. Dumplings are the name my granddaddy called them. Just his name for an individual pie. He made them from pie crust and fruit. They are really good. I really liked his blackberry version.

I like to make Asian Potstickers and want to learn how to make Su Mai. Love Chinese food.

Dumpling is a common term for a dessert such as you describe, dough wrapped around sweetened fruit and baked or boiled. Apple dumplings are the best known type of in the U.S., really a traditional American dessert. Who cares? Gimme one and pass the vanilla ice cream!

Chausiubao said:
In that style of cooking, what exactly is a dumpling? I've only known the asian version, meat and vegetables bound with egg or flour and wrapped in dough, then fried or boiled, so when i hear about dumplings of dough, or the dish chicken and dumplings, i'm utterly onfused.

The nearest way I can think to describe dumplings as in chicken stew and dumplings to someone with a knowledge of Asian (in uk Oriental) dumplings would be the doughy part of Barbeque Pork Bun. The are light yet satisfying like that type of dim sum. Or a cross between that dim sum dough and bread. They swell and cook on the top of a stew to provide a filling and satifying aspect to the meal. Unless you mean chicken soup dumplings, in the jewish tradition which I find heavier. The are made with matzo meal powder, egg, ground almonds and some of the chicken broth. The fulfil the same function.

Neither has a filling like dim sum/gyoza but are equally lovely in their own setting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom