Grape Rustic Tart...I Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
OK - this looks like the closest recipe to what I found before so we'll just go with it.

My issue is with the food processor. I do exactly as it says and it goes from the crumbly stage to a something that's a gooey glob. I have to scrape it out of the fp bowl. Isn't it supposed to be a stiffer dough? Even after I put it in the fridge for an hour or so it is still sticky.

Do I really have to chill it for 2 complete hours?

I guess I missed my window tonight.

I got the most beautiful grapes from a friend who has a vineyard close by. These are their "eating" grapes. I'll have to take pictures...there are 3 kinds and they taste NOTHING like I have ever bought!!!!! I want them to last forever :cool:

So...can someone help with my dough being too sticky?

The recipe sounds right - chilling it will help with some stickiness, and you don't really want to add any more flour (bread or ap) because then the tart won't be as tender as it should be. I want to see photos!

Well, with doing dough in a processor, especially a short dough, cold is your friend. Over mixing will also ruin the fun due to friction. if it is a little sticky pre-refrigerating, I would think that the fats would cool, but when a short dough says crumbly, I look for the type of texture you see on a coffee cake. It will be loose until you press it into form.

OK, so maybe I should shave a couple seconds off the end of processing.

TATT - you're just a real clown, huh?
I look for the type of texture you see on a coffee cake
Alix can explain why that means nothing :LOL:

jkath - trust me - I will take photos!

OK - now, do I REALLY have to refrigerate the dough for the solid 2 hours?

lol, I meant to put, "the crumbly topping"...Once the dough comes together and looks like is is grainy, with the grain the size of large peas, I would stop. And once again, cold IS your friend. Of course, you could just blast it in the freezer for 30-45min.

lol, I meant to put, "the crumbly topping"...Once the dough comes together and looks like is is grainy, with the grain the size of large peas, I would stop. And once again, cold IS your friend. Of course, you could just blast it in the freezer for 30-45min.

OK - I get the dough crumbly, just like that, then it says to add the 3 TBS of water and that's where it gets all gummy. Or is it just supposed to be gummy. And yes, I am using 3 TBS of ice cold water (ice in the glass and take from there).

hmmmmmmm....that IS weired, not quite sure what to advise, except once you add the water, just pulse the processor...or, like Alton, use a spray bottle to add the water. Sounds silly, but it is less disruptive then straight water being added.

hmmmmmmm....that IS weired, not quite sure what to advise, except once you add the water, just pulse the processor...or, like Alton, use a spray bottle to add the water. Sounds silly, but it is less disruptive then straight water being added.

All good advice - I'll just rinse that spray bottle I have that plant herbicide in :rolleyes: j/k!!!!!!!!!!!

THanks - I wish it wasn't so late - I don't really feel like starting this now - maybe tomorrow night or Saturday. I've got to use these grapes before they go bad.....OH - I could make the dough tonight, right? Keep it until then?

Kitchenelf, take it from someone who makes pastry a LOT the fp is NOT your friend. Invest a couple of bucks in an old fashioned pastry blender (but don't get one with just wires, get one with blades) and use that instead. Cut the fat and flour until you have what looks like medium breadcrumbs (like stuffing for a turkey) and then add your ice water. Another tip is to put your hands into ice water for a few minutes before you work your ice water into your dough. And don't be afraid to be scant with the water, just need enough for the dough to "stick".

Kitchenelf, take it from someone who makes pastry a LOT the fp is NOT your friend. Invest a couple of bucks in an old fashioned pastry blender (but don't get one with just wires, get one with blades) and use that instead. Cut the fat and flour until you have what looks like medium breadcrumbs (like stuffing for a turkey) and then add your ice water. Another tip is to put your hands into ice water for a few minutes before you work your ice water into your dough. And don't be afraid to be scant with the water, just need enough for the dough to "stick".

Thank you Alix!! I have a pastry blender and it is the kind with blades versus just wires. I will use only that the next time. I was going to make the dough last night but alas, it didn't happen.

Say a little prayer - this is pre-baking...post will be soon

3 different kinds of grapes (tomato was for size comparison)

img_677300_0_ba570501ff11b28e174ed9639e97b69e.jpg

Tart ready to go in (I can already tell you after checking after 20 minutes that one section unfolded - but no juices formed to run out (I'm VERY glad)

img_677300_1_b120b95495509fd8d68f7c9b31867045.jpg

Well...I baked and it actually turned out! I sprinkled a smaller amount of sugar on top than they said and I think it could have even used half of what I did use. It was still good! ....I baked :chef:

img_677310_0_292bb9d018f5a1ef738f9ee14a8d6ced.jpg

img_677310_1_a461ea147c0b93aa2b4e98212a90830a.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom