Grated cheese on apple pie anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
Someone gifted us with a big basket of apples so I made apple pie for the first time ever. I put a walnut streusel topping. The pie turned out wonderful! However, for more depth of flavor, I decided to generously sprinkle grated cheddar on the topping, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

I loved it. I've never been avid about apple pie before but I thought this tasted like the perfect apple pie.

My DH has never been fond of apple pie and so was non-commital about the added cheese.

My question to the folks here is, does this cheese on apple pie sound appetizing to you or is it plain weird? I'm wondering if I can serve it like this to guests without fear of turning them off ...

Chopstix said:
Someone gifted us with a big basket of apples so I made apple pie for the first time ever. I put a walnut streusel topping. The pie turned out wonderful! However, for more depth of flavor, I decided to generously sprinkle grated cheddar on the topping, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

I loved it. I've never been avid about apple pie before but I thought this tasted like the perfect apple pie.

My DH has never been fond of apple pie and so was non-commital about the added cheese.

My question to the folks here is, does this cheese on apple pie sound appetizing to you or is it plain weird? I'm wondering if I can serve it like this to guests without fear of turning them off ...

I love melted cheddar cheese on my apple pie. Tillamook is probably my favorite. Brie, Boursin, and Fontina also taste good over apple pie.

Cheese served with apples and apple pie are a tradition from Yorkshire in England. Usually a wedge of Wensleydale cheese.

I've got a couple recipes (I think) that call for Cheddar cheese. We also have a member at the club I work at that likes a slice of cheddar on his apple pie (when we had it on the menu). I don't think it's weird. However, I've never tried it. One of these days, I'm going to have to try it, just to know what it tastes like.

When my Mom made apple pie (she was a *great* pie maker) my Dad always insisted on a generous slice of sharp, aged cheddar with his slice. I picked up the habit from him and personally I like that combination of sweet and savory. You could try simply offering cheese with the pie (for the adventurous) rather than topping the crust with shredded cheese.

Here in central Wisconsin, it is not uncommon at all to find a nice slice of local cheddar served with a slice of apple pie in restaurants. My grandparents did it (nibbled a slice with their pie) and the habit continues with my siblings and I. Delicious in my humble opinion!

Interesting, in Rachel Ray's new magazine, she has a recipe for an apple turn-over thingey using just white bread, caramel and apples. What makes it interesting is that when you roll the bread thin, you roll shredded cheddar into the bread. It looks like it would be pretty good.

So long response to your simple question - no, not odd at all!

All the men in my family have liked a slice of cheddar with their apple pie.
Apple pie is my favorite dessert in the world, and I prefer it "naked".

I used to have an apple pie that included cheese in the pastry. It was delicious and I wish I still had it.

Wow. And I thought I had an original idea there. Good to have validation though. Thanks for your inputs. I think I'll grate cheddar on top of the pie and not tell people what it is until after they've had a taste, and only if they were curious enough to ask what it was :) (No harm skewing things in my favor, right?)

Can just echo that I grew up in Brooklyn and knew about cheese on apple pie for about as long as I can remember.

Personally enjoy it but rarely eat desserts.

I've never tried cheddar cheese on my apple pie (I like ice cream), but there is an old saying (from the 40's or earlier): Apple pie without cheese is like a hug without a squeeze!"

:) Barbara

So I served it to my Thai girlfriend after dinner lastnight. First thing she says is, "Is that cheese?" pointing to the grated cheddar on top of the apple pie, with vanilla ice cream on the side. Obviously she found it strange but kept quiet. So I sheepishly had to admit it and while she ate I braced for her verdict. Eventually she nodded her appreciation pointing out the various flavors that went together very well into the mix -- the salty creamy cheese, the sweet ice cream, the sour-sweet pie filling, the nutty crunch of the walnut streusel topping. I love the entire combination myself but couldn't explain why before. Her insight was valuable. I never thought of it this way. And it made so much sense.

Trust the Thais to look for a good balance of different flavors and textures in their food. This explains why Thai food is so good.

I would think the cheddar would be delicious with the sweet apples. Mmmm...will have to try soon. Thanks for posting.

When I was growing up Grandma ALWAYS put a slab of chedder on each slice of apple pie, then ran them under the broiler to melt it before serving. Ice cream was optional - cheese was mandatory.

It's not really an "American" thing - but a lot of cultures around the world consider fruit and cheese the perfect ending to a meal (dessert). Placed in that context - it only seems natural.

I like a cheese and apple sandwiches, preferably a crumbly white cheese like Lancashire or Caerphilly or Wensleydale. Thin circles of apple, topped by a thin layer of cheese in a good granary bap. YUM.

Back
Top Bottom