Ground clove in pumpkin pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EternalRos3

Assistant Cook
I recently went to the store to get ingredients for a pumpkin pie recipe I got from school. The store didn't seem to have one of the spices the recipe called for, which was ground cloves. I was wondering if having this spice makes or breaks a basic pumpkin pie...

I don't have a way to get back to the store quite yet, and honestly, if I don't need this spice, then I don't really want to bother.

Looking on recipe web sites, I've seen other recipes that don't call for this spice, so I'm kind of confused in that aspect.

What other spices are you putting in? You could probably omit the ground cloves but it will affect the balance of the flavour. Do you have any whole cloves, you could grind yourself?

It also called for ground ginger and ground cinnamon. These are the only two spices I have. Unfortunately I haven't been able to build up my spice-shelf with much yet. Would posting all of the ingredients required help at all?

Cloves are not necessary. I dislike cloves a lot and make a recipe without them.

I use canned pumpkin for my pies. The recipe on the can provided by one manufacturer calls for cloves and another brand does not.

It's up to you.

pumpkin pie can be as plain or spicy as you like. Various amounts of cloves cinnamon and nutmeg can be called for. On the other hand, I've had a country pumpkin pie that tasted of the squash, butter and sugar, with no spice ... (better use fresh pumpkin for that one.)

So I think you can certainly make a fine pie without that one spice.

pumpkin pie spice is also available tho I have not used it, I prefer to use the spices separately.

Pumpkin spice sounds a bit blah, I agree LadyCook, it doesn't allow you to get too creative, to have all the spices readily available in one shaker. I guess some people find it useful, but I would use them separately, like you.

marigene - I was thinking of doing something similar to your maple syrup addition, to make it festive. I want to decorate the top of the pie to look like an actual pumpkin face, and I was thinking of something along the lines of candy corn and cinamon sticks or something like that. :)

I never realized how much fun baking is...lol

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I'm going to bake the pie over the weekend :)

Yum

Pumpkin spice sounds a bit blah, I agree LadyCook, it doesn't allow you to get too creative, to have all the spices readily available in one shaker. I guess some people find it useful, but I would use them separately, like you.
Yum
I have a jar and it's great for people who have limited use for all the different spices. Like you don't have a use for cloves otherwise you would have some on hand, I presume. I also use it in other things, like pumpkin bread. It's really handy to be honest and you can add extra of anything you feel you need to add.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom