HELP - Pie in oven total liquid!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amaescher

Assistant Cook
I just baked a simple raspberry pie (1 qt. raspberries, 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch and a dash of salt in a pie crust- found on cooking.com). After 40 minutes, the filling is total liquid. Should I throw out- or will it set? Was it too little cornstarch or sugar? Recipe said to just mix, fill and bake! Sounded too easy... Any ER advice welcome! Thx, AM

I don't think it will set if it didn't set up while cooking, at least not much. I don't know if cornstarch goes bad or not, but it sounds like either it wasn't good, or enough of it. If the crusts came out ok, you may want to invent a new recipe or serve it as a sauce over ice cream. I saw Sandra Lee make an apple pie napoleon on one of her shows and that may be good with raspberries, as well. Sorry it didn't work out.

Thanks!

licia said:
I don't think it will set if it didn't set up while cooking, at least not much. I don't know if cornstarch goes bad or not, but it sounds like either it wasn't good, or enough of it. If the crusts came out ok, you may want to invent a new recipe or serve it as a sauce over ice cream. I saw Sandra Lee make an apple pie napoleon on one of her shows and that may be good with raspberries, as well. Sorry it didn't work out.

Thanks so much Licia-- I think it may become a creative dessert!! Over ice cream sounds good. ;)

dissolve a small sheet of geletan and stir it in...this will not make it extremely stiff, but bind it just as a sugary syrup would after it set

I've always tossed the berries with a mixture of flour and sugar...never had that much luck with cornstarch. I've also found that berries do best in a crisp or cobbler, because they are so juicy.

Your juicy pie will taste great over ice cream. I'm sure it's delicious.

Were your raspberries presweetened. I know that you are going to make another pie one of these days; maybe later than sooner. Your basic ingredients were berries and sugar. Raspberries seem very durable in texture so I think you got some extra sugar from your quart of berries. Enough to make syrup. You can use some on pancakes. I am sure there is something that calls for a raspberry glaze. I wonder how that would work on ham?

Thanks All!

Well, the pie was complete liquid but tasty. Thank you all so much for your ideas. Unfortunately, no gelatin in the house but I do have ice cream and that'll be just fine for us. Love the idea about using it as a glaze. The berries were hand picked in Maine but frozen since the summer and I put them in a frozen unbaked shell so that combined with the other ingredients may have been the culprit.

First time using this Forum and so impressed with the quick responses! Thank you all so much and I will return again... AM

amaescher, raspberries are notorious for being pretty liquidy after being frozen. If you try this again, I would suggest cooking the filling on the stove first to thicken it. Likely the problem was that the filling didn't get hot enough for the cornstarch to do its stuff. Sometimes with pies that happens. Glad you got some alternate ideas from our wonderful folks around here, and I hope you give it a go again soon! Welcome aboard.

I had this same problem last week. I used frozen blackberries to make pie. I thawed them and strained them so that they would lose some of their juice, but the pie was still really soupy. Luckily I had done a top crust with an open design, so I stuck a baster in there and pulled out a bunch of the juice. It was pretty messy, but it did work.

there`s a special Jam sugar you can buy also, it`s just the same as ordinary sugar but it contains Pectin (a naturaly occuring enzyme in many fruits).
maybe that would help a little next time too :)

- 2 tablespoons of starch is about what you'd use for an apple pie. you'd have to at least double that for something as watery as raspberries. i'd probably go with a heaping 1/4 cup.
- cornstarch gives a nicer, more transparent product than flour, but it's quirky. i seem to recall that its thickening strenght is affected by acidity. you can substitute flour or quick tapioca for more surefire results.

icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom