Help with pie !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
I have been making ''Kentucky Chocolate Pecan Pie" for the past three weeks, since I found the recipe. My family loves it!! Problem -thought I would double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan. I did just that -- looked great ------- problem is the filling was runny under the nicely baked top! The recipe was easy- pecan pie w/choc.chips. Singlel recipe calls for 1-cup corn syrup, 1/2 cup brn. sugar, 3-eggs- plus salt,vanilla and cup pecan and 6oz. choc.chips. What went wrong ? Should have just made two pies ! Wanted to just cut in squares. Thanks for your help!

Miss Barb

I do NOT do much baking so you can take this for what it is worth;)

Maybe you cooked in a fast/hot. oven. Maybe slow it down 50* or so...
I guess you let it cool and set long enough...

Hope this helps...a little bit anyway

Last edited:
Did I hear someone say PIE!!??

Sorry Barb, no advice I just got excited over PIE!

(sounds delicious though!)

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Barb

I do NOT do much baking so you can take this for what it is worth;)

Maybe you cooked in a fast/hot. oven. Maybe slow it down 50* or so...
I guess you let it cool and set long enough...

Hope this helps...a little bit anyway
I baked it in a 350' oven for almost 50 mins. looked great coming out, I thought maybe dbling the egg's to six was too much- dang I dunno, not a big baker! Thanks for reply though.

Barb L. said:
I baked it in a 350' oven for almost 50 mins. looked great coming out, I thought maybe dbling the egg's to six was too much- dang I dunno, not a big baker! Thanks for reply though.

Well...I surely don't know...sounds 350* for 50 minutes shoulda worked...Maybe separate pies next time...or 325* for a longer period.

In the mean time...give them a spoon..and tell them to shut their mouth.. just eat it!!:LOL:

My grand-daddy uses to say a cake was no good unless it fell..Ha!

Barb L. said:
Barb, doubling the eggs to six is no problem. In fact you should double all ingredients if you want twice the amount. Maybe you should bake it a big longer by another 10 or 15 minutes as pans of different size and thickness vary in baking time. If the top browns too much, cover it with aluminium foil and reduce it to 325 degrees F.

boufa06 said:
Barb, doubling the eggs to six is no problem. In fact you should double all ingredients if you want twice the amount. Maybe you should bake it a big longer by another 10 or 15 minutes as pans of different size and thickness vary in baking time. If the top browns too much, cover it with aluminium foil and reduce it to 325 degrees F.
I did dbl. everything, next time I'll just make two! Thanks all !

Barb, sometimes doubling everything just means a longer cooking time too. Drop the heat on your oven a bit and do it for a little longer. I would try going to 300 if you started at 350 and leave it for quite a while, then about 10 minutes before you think you're going to be done crank it up a bit to sizzle the top. Give it a go and see how it does.

OH! My other thought would be to put a shortbread base on the bottom, and pour the pecan pie filling on that and see what happens. I didn't check for a recipe to see what you are doing in that regard though.

Oh, I'm sure it was, just that a shortbread crust would soak up some of the liquid for you. LOL, I'm a big cheater and its one of my favorite tricks!

Thanks all for your feedback, not making this way again, just pies, they turn ut so good - rich but good !!!! Always made a cake for the weekend, made this recipe, and everyone wants this, will have to go back to cake pretty soon!! Weekends we have dessert -- (I try) ! Then they last through the week! :-p

Back
Top Bottom