"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 09-16-2004, 10:43 AM   #31
Cook

Here's a suggestion--place your fats in a large zip-loc bag or two, if you need the room and roll it out very flat then stick it in the freezer for at least 30 min- to 1 hr. (I keep some bags with 3/4 c each stored for when I want to make a pie crust)
Then using chilled pastry flour or all purpose(I keep that in the freezer, too), in the food processor, pulse the flour(with a little salt--check your recipe) just until it's mixed up, then add the ice water all at once and pulse until it makes a ball.
Remove it and divide it in half (for two crusts)quickly press them into 1" thick discs, slip each into a zip bag and chill for at least 1/2 hour.
I roll the discs out between two layers of wide plastic wrap with a minimum of extra flour, rolling a little, lifting off the wrap and replacing it to ease the stretch, then flip the whole thing over, release the wrap again and roll some more. The dough will stick to the wrap as you roll so you need to release it several times. Then, peel back the top sheet of wrap, and flip the whole thing wrap and all onto your pie pan, peel off the other layer of wrap(which is now on top) and ease the dough into the pan withough forcing it, trim it and proceed with the top crust. Fill it with whatever you'e filling with, moisten the edge and add the top crust,. pinch, flute or whatever you like to do to your edges,

CHILL IT for at least a half hour then and bake as usual. I brush my tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar, or just before it's done, while still pale, I brush on an egg wash.
The result should be tender and flaky.

For a peach pie, try adding a 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the flour before you cut in the fats.

The Recipe:

2 c pastry or cake or AP flour
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 c shortening (1/2 c shortening, 1/4 c sweet butter, or 1/2 c shortening, 1/4 c lard--blend together softened fats then chill)
5 Tbs ice water

Old 09-16-2004, 11:10 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I'm confused Chefcyn, at what point (and how) do you add the fats to the dough?

Old 09-17-2004, 07:35 PM   #33
Sous Chef

I'm almost certain the fat goes in after the mixing of the salt into the flour in the processor and the dumping in of the iced water.

Usually, you process the flour, salt, and fat until the fat is broken into small pea sized pieces.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #34
Executive Chef

:D Try this recipe .
2# 13 oz flour
1# margerine
14 oz lard or shortening
3 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 TBL sugar
use a a knife and a fork to cut in fats to a rough corn meal consistency

In a bowl mix up 1 cup ice cold water
3 eggs
1 TBL vinegar
pour ito flour mix an mix up with a fork
once it holds together l knead with hands maybe 2 to 3 times
now make 10 oz flat shaped discs chill at least 4 hours
When ready to roll out use a decent amount of flour
Its even better to chill crust in pan a few minutes
This is a fairly big recipe but you can make discs and freeze,let thaw and go from there or cut recipe in 1/2
I could not make pie dough to save my life until I started using this recipe after that other pie dough recipes will make sense
I believe this is called dutch pie dough
I think the frozen dough turns out even better
It is a really flaky tender dough

Tags
None