Help with pumpkin pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dal2

Assistant Cook
I wondered if anyone had any advice for my problem.

I make my own pumpkin pies, but when I plate it, the crust separates from the pumpkin filling.

Does anyone know why this happens and what I can do?

Thanks much

Debbie

Debbie,
What pumpkin puree are you using, canned or fresh? Are you making the crust yourself or store bought? Tell me about your ingredients and perhaps I, or someone here, can come up with a solution.

Sorry, I use the all-ready pie crust. But I do make the filling myself -- using a Betty Crocker recipe.

Thanks

Sometimes the filling and crust separate if you freeze the pie after it's baked. Are you putting it in the freezer?

Too much moisture in the pie can cause this. Try wringing out all the liquid from the pumkin puree that you make and use just the right amount of milk (not more) that the recipe asks for. Don't refrigerate when the pie is hot or warm. Let it cool completely on your counter.

I don't freeze the pie at all.

And I use the canned pumpkin (I add my own spices).

I might be guilty of putting the pie in the refrigerator warm. I will have to make sure it is cooled completely this time.

Thank you so much for all your help. You go to all the trouble of making something homemade and then it does something like that -- it bothers me!!!

Hello Debbie:)

This is probably unconventional, but I made a pumpkin pie last week and put the pie base on the top of the pie, instead of the bottom. Not only did the pie not separate from the base but the base was nice and crispy and golden, instead of soggy as it would be if I put it under the pie filling.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom