Home made condensed milk, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I love key lyme pie. But the recipe I use calls for sweetened, condensed milk. I have problems with sugar and so am looking for a replacement for the condensed milk. I'm thinking that evaporated milk mixed with sucralose or a sugar alchohol might do the trick. Any one know how much sugar by volume is contained in a 14 oz. can of condensed milk?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My recipe for "homemade condensed milk" calls for 2/3 cup sugar. If you'd like the recipe, just say so.

Home made condensed milk

Home made Condensed Milk

1 cup powdered milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 to 1/3 cup boiling water
3 Tablespoons butter

Blend all in blender and process until smooth and thick. Refrigerate. Makes 1 1/4 cups - same as 14 oz can.

I've used this in the flan recipe that calls for condensed milk and no one could tell the difference.

daisy said:

Substitute for Sweetened Condensed Milk:
Mix 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered milk with 1/2 cup warm water, then add 3/4 cup sugar and stir until dissolved.

[FONT=&quot]or[/FONT]

1 cup skim milk powder
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup boiling water

Combine milk powder and sugar. Stir butter into boiling water and pour into milk powder and sugar. Using electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or until thickened. Keeps 2 weeks. Makes 1 1/4 cups.

[FONT=&quot]or[/FONT]

Boil 900ml milk, gradually adding 750g sugar, making sure it does not burn. Stir in 2 tablespoons cornflour made into a paste with some of the milk. Boil for a few minutes, stirring constantly.

Low Carb Sweetened

Condensed Milk

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

6 egg yolks

1 cup Splenda​

Whisk all ingredients (added in the order given) in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Cool completely, add to sealable non-metal container and refrigerate. Use within 7-10 days.​

I'm impressed!:mrgreen: Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom