"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Cook

How do you make crumbly pastry instead of flaky?

i made the most delicious cornish pasty today ( i thought so anyway ) and so did my husband but said that he doesn't like flaky crust much and if i could make a less flaky crust the next time .

so far most of the instructions i've come across always aim for a flaky crust. what do i do to make a more crumbly crust. it should taste more a more like a soft biscuit? that's what dh said. i hope he knows wht he's talking about!

anyway my basic recipe was 225g flour and 112g butter and lard. oh and dh wants it a bit less fatty as well

now can i cut back on some of the butter and lard? and if so how much

how do i get this crumbly crust then, knead the dough more?

any help from experienced bakers is most appreciated. thank you

Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Use vegetable shortening in place of the other fats.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I vouch for that too Andy. Works great for my crusts, though I add butter to my crust as well. If you need a recipe g23 just give me a shout.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I vouch for that too Andy. Works great for my crusts, though I add butter to my crust as well. If you need a recipe g23 just give me a shout.

hi amber would love that recipe as i lke using butter on my crust.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Use vegetable shortening in place of the other fats.

hi andy. are u sure it won;t taste horrible using all vegetable shortening as last week i used all lard and it tasted disgusting!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Pie crust: You'll have to convert the measurements sorry

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
4-8 tablespoons icewater

To make the crust, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of icewater and mix until the dough holds together. Add a little more water, 1 tablespoon at a time if needed.

Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk shape. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for at least 30 minutes. You will see chunks of butter in the dough.

After that period of time, I place the dough onto a cutting board using flour to keep the dough from sticking, then roll the dough out with a rolling pin to about 1/4" thick.

This dough is not exactly fat free since it calls for butter, but then no dough is completely fat free if it is to be flaky and light.

Hope you both like it.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Pie crust: You'll have to convert the measurements sorry

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
4-8 tablespoons icewater

To make the crust, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of icewater and mix until the dough holds together. Add a little more water, 1 tablespoon at a time if needed.

Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk shape. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for at least 30 minutes. You will see chunks of butter in the dough.

After that period of time, I place the dough onto a cutting board using flour to keep the dough from sticking, then roll the dough out with a rolling pin to about 1/4" thick.

This dough is not exactly fat free since it calls for butter, but then no dough is completely fat free if it is to be flaky and light.

Hope you both like it.

thanks very much amber. you said in last sentence the dough is flaky? i want dough to be crumbly not flaky. husband don't like flaky crust.do i still use this recipe? thanks again for your help
Old 03-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23
thanks very much amber. you said in last sentence the dough is flaky? i want dough to be crumbly not flaky. husband don't like flaky crust.do i still use this recipe? thanks again for your help
The top is flaky, and the inside crust is more crumbly due to the butter. My husband is british as well, and really likes this type of crust, so maybe your husband will too.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
The top is flaky, and the inside crust is more crumbly due to the butter. My husband is british as well, and really likes this type of crust, so maybe your husband will too.
cheers amber!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Your welcome, hope you guys like it.

Tags
None