How Much Chocolate In My Pecan Pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I have this pecan pie recipe I make. I think it's really good but I want to try chocolate pecan pie. I figure I can use my pecan pie recipe and just add some melted chocolate to the mix.

The question is, how much of what kind of chocolate?

So I did what I always do. I read a dozen or so recipes and try to spot a regularly occurring amount. No such luck. I found measurements of anywhere from 2 to 6 ounces or 1 to 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Also, several recipes suggested cocoa powder in various amounts.

Can you guys help me cut through these various options and come up with a reasonable choice? I don't want to bake 20 pies to get the right combo.

Andy, without seeing the recipe - this one looks like an easy solution... for one 10" pie crust -- one cup of chocolate chips are placed on the bottom followed by a cup of pecans - then the ingrediients are placed on top. Maybe adjust the cooking time by testing for doneness. This recipe is from Whole Foods.

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Serves 8
  • 1 unbaked pie crust, 10-inch
  • 6 TB butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 TB flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup pecan halves
Preheat oven to 325°F. Measure the chocolate chips into the pie crust, and cover with the pecans. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Stir together until evenly distributed. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and corn syrup. Add vanilla. Add the sugar mixture. Stir well. Add the butter, stir again and pour into the piecrust. Bake in the lower third of the oven for about an hour or until set.

The derby pie is a chocolate pecan pie/ or a pecan chocolate pie - but has a little bourbon in it. I don't put it in mine, but it is called for.

mish: Thanks for the recipe. I saw several that used a cup of chips.

pds: I let you know how it turns out.

licia: I've seen Derby pie recipes before. I may try one this holiday season.

Andy:

You're welcome. The idea of just putting chocolate chips on the bottom of the pie crust, looks like the easiest solution, to me. Hope your recipe will be a big hit. Let us know how it turns out.

Andy, I tossed a 1/2 cup of cocoa in my usual recipe and it worked out well. Mind you, I haven't made it in ages, but thats what I remember.

Thanks Andy.
I look forward to hearing how it tasted. ( bet it was wonderful!!)

Here's another variation on a chocolate pecan pie -

CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE

4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter

1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces, lightly toasted

Preheat oven to 325
Stir chocolate and butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted. Cool slightly. Whisk brown sugar, eggs and salt in large bowl to blend. Whisk in corn syrup and chocolate mixture. Sprinkle pecans over unbaked crust. Pour filling over pecans. Bake until crust is golden and filling is puffed, about 55 minutes.

As an aside, I made a pecan pie with Hershey's Kisses a few years ago and to my surprise, the chocolate didn't melt, it just got a little soft. Do the chocolate chips and/or chopped chocolate achieve "gooey" status?

Thanks guys!

One recipe I saw called for the chocolate to be melted then blended with other liquid ingredients. Other recipes called for scattering the chips on top of or mixedd into the pie.

I plan to melt and blend. I want chocolate flavor in the pie, not chunks of chocolate.

If that's what you want, then use the cocoa or cooking chocolate; chocolate chips and Hershey's Kisses are made not to melt in the food!

marmalady said:
If that's what you want, then use the cocoa or cooking chocolate; chocolate chips and Hershey's Kisses are made not to melt in the food!

Good point, Marm. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom