How to Get Glaze INTO the Apple Fritter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drnick

Assistant Cook
Back in the 1950s, a little donut shop near my home produced apple fritters with a sugar glaze that literally saturated the fritter. The surface was firm, almost crusty, but the interior was soft. When you bit into one, the fat-based sugar would squirt into your mouth. We loved them!

I realize that many today wouldn't consider this a desirable--or even a healthy--thing, but I'd sure like to know how it was done.

Anybody?

I'll venture a guess. They pipe it in, just like the cream or jelly filling in a doughnut.

No, not piped in. If you cut one of these fritters with a knife, you'd see that the sugar had penetrated maybe a quarter of an inch into the dough itself. Parts thicker than half an inch or so were plain, unsaturated dough.

Maybe they added sugar to the oil and kept the temperature lower than usual for deep frying, to give it time to soak in as it cooked?

Never add sugar to the oil. They glazed the fritters while they were still piping hot. If you wait until the fritters are cooled then the glaze will not penetrate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom