I Don't Want To Use Cool Whip!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy, Peanut Butter Pie is ubiquitous down here. Even fine dining establishments serve it. The cool whip version recipes are not nearly as good as the ones with whipping cream.

A friend of mine is the Exec Chef at one of those fine dining places, and he gave me the recipe they use, but I had to scale it down (his recipe made 4 pies). I added the light bake on the crust, something I found from the version in Dorie Greenspan's Baking. The drizzle on top is also mine. The original version had a layer of very loose chocolate ganache on top. But you have to keep it loose, or it will be hard as a rock when you freeze it.

The pie itself is very simple and quick to make. BTW, Cool Whip is sweetened - without it, you have to add sugar.

Peanut Butter Pie

Take this out of the freezer for about a half hour before serving for a creamy summer treat!

Ingredients
12 oz cream cheese
12 oz sugar
12 oz peanut butter - crunchy
24 each Oreo cookies
5 tbsp melted butter
1½ cups heavy cream
4 tsp vanilla
¼ cup chocolate ganache
¼ cup peanut butter ganache

Procedure
1 Crush the Oreos in the food processor.
2 Mix the cookies with the melted butter in a bowl.
3 Press evenly into the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Press it up the sides about 2 inches.
4 Freeze for 10 minutes.
5 Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
6 Cream the sugar and the cream cheese in the mixer with a paddle attachment until fluffy.
7 Add the peanut butter.
8 In a large bowl, whip cream with the vanilla until stiff peaks form.
9 Fold together the peanut butter mixture & the whipped cream.
10 Pour the mousse into the cooled shell.
11 Freeze several hours or overnight.
12 Remove the sides from the springform pan.
13 Drizzle the chocolate & peanut butter ganaches over the top in a decorative pattern.
14 Return to freezer until serving time.

Attachments

• peanut butter pie (8).JPG
    peanut butter pie (8).JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I'm with you on the cool whip!

I will say I've eaten this pie a number of times and you can't taste the cool whip, but I know it's there!

I'm going to tuck away SilverSage's recipe! I've been wanting to make peanut butter pie, but have been too distracted to find a non cool whip version, now I have!

I would just use a different recipe that doesn't use Cook Whip instead of trying to substitute. SO's sister might love that recipe, but she might change her mind if she tastes one made from real ingredients. The one you mentioned seems just to be for convenience.

Having said that, I love Cool Whip, although the only time I have it around is for pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving.

Had to wait for everyone who has had Peanut Butter Pie to wake up!:LOL:

I'm trying Silversage's recipe...

You're the boss in your kitchen. Do it the way you like.
Stabilize the whipped cream with gelatin and a little water and it should be OK. Maybe you can do a test run before she arrives.
Here's what I would do: Mix 1 tsp gelatin w/ 4 tsp cold water; let stand until softened, over low heat, stir until gelatin dissolves.
Allow to cool but not set.
Whip the cream (1 cup) w/powdered sugar until thickened. Slowly beat in cooled gelatin. Continue
beating until desired thickness.

One advantage of being older than dirt------- you can eat all those yummy chemicals and the grim reaper will get you before the chemical can kill you!:D

One advantage of being older than dirt------- you can eat all those yummy chemicals and the grim reaper will get you before the chemical can kill you!:D

LOL I feel that way about a lot of things. My main one is Diet Coke. They have gone round and round for years about how bad those artificial sweeteners are. I have been drinking diet sodas for almost 50 years and although I'm not in perfect health, I'm still kicking!

LOL I feel that way about a lot of things. My main one is Diet Coke. They have gone round and round for years about how bad those artificial sweeteners are. I have been drinking diet sodas for almost 50 years and although I'm not in perfect health, I'm still kicking!

Yes, well preserved.

There's no need to stabilize the whipped cream in a peanut butter pie. It's a frozen pie - just brought out of the freezer to soften a bit before serving. The cream holds up in the freezer very well - think ice cream.

So Andy, let us know how it turns out and how SO's sister likes it. Inquiring minds want to know. :angel:

strange things you're having at your side of the pond....

DH is making a frozen cream cake with no stabilizer, just whipped cream.. it is frozen, there is enough water in the cream, so where should the problem be..?

SO's sister from FL is visiting and mentioned peanut butter pie. It's a real simple recipe.

Cream cheese, peanut butter and Cool Whip. Blend the cream cheese and peanut butter then fold in the cool whip and put it into a graham cracker crust and freeze. There are variations on how you can decorate the top.

My question is this: If I make whipped cream with powdered sugar and vanilla as a substitute for Cool Whip and fold that into the pie, will it hold up or break down and turn watery?
If you whip the heavy cream yourself to medium peaks you'll be all right but if you use the sort of whipped cream that comes in an aerosol can it will collapse pretty quickly. If you want the richness cut a little you can add some sour cream or crème fraiche AFTER whipping the heavy cream

And note for Dawg - it isn't food snobbery to prefer one thing over another.

My problem with diet soft drinks is that they taste foul! I'm a (very moderate) gin and tonic drinker and finding tonic that doesn't have saccharine or aspartame in it is really difficult. When I find the sugar version I buy bottles by the half dozen. G&T with "low fat" tonic is really vile.

If you want to make sure that your topping 'Holds' then I would go 50-50 with whipping cream and Mascarpone. Just whip them together ( slowly at first or you'll wear it! ) I do this here in France when I make that magical, British favorite TRIFLE for our French friends who think me very clever :chef: it's foolproof and you can add a little icing sugar when you are mixing if you want. I'm not really clever, just found a way around the french cream out of a can thinggy. that is popular here....;)

Back
Top Bottom