I need bakers' help--ISO Apple Lemon Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I need bakers with some help please

My son requested a pie (that the aunt of a friend of his made) and he loved. I tried coming up with something off the seat of my pants, twice now. :cool: It's not worked and I know why but don't know how to fix it or make it proper. :neutral: It's been a couple of years and probably I could somehow get her recipe, but it's a shot in the dark that someone here can help so I'll start here.

He said it was an apple pie and lemon filling pie all in one. In other words, the pie inside was lemon like you'd find in a meringue lemon pie with apple pie filling mixed in or vice versa. I tried making an apple pie filling like I regularly do and then making the lemon meringue filling like I usually do and combining the two. The flavor was great but the moisture from the apples really made it a wet wet wet mess inside that didn't coagulate to a solid piece of pie when sliced.:sick: Rather it oozed all over the plate. :angry: So, next time I tried making a stiffer lemon part (by using more corn starch) and adding more flour to the apple part. Still it was too wet and then the flavor suffered too. :mad:

If you can figure this mess out and help, I'd sure appreciate it. I love lemon meringue pies and have my mothers Myer lemons here right now at home with me so I'm ready to go. Just think of a typical apple pie with the lemon meringue being the filling part of the apple pie, but how do I GET THERE?:shock:

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I googled and found this, hopefully it's what your looking for. Good luck!![/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sunglow Apple-Lemon Pie[/font]​
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]PREP AND COOK TIME: [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]About 1 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3/4[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] hours, plus at least 1 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1/2[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] hours to cool[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]NOTES: [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Prepare Sunset's Favorite Pie Pastry or the Sunglow Pie Pastry, or use 1 package (15 oz.) refrigerated pastry and follow steps 5 and 6 of the Sunset recipe to line pan, position top crust, and flute edges.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]MAKES:[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] 8 servings[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]/[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]4 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and cooled
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1 teaspoon lemon extract
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]/[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]4 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]pounds Newtown Pippin apples (about 4)
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Pastry for a 9-inch double-crust pie (see notes)
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1 large egg yolk[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1. In a bowl, mix [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]/[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]4[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] cup sugar, tapioca, butter, and lemon extract. Peel and core apples; slice ([/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]/[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]4[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] in. thick) into sugar mixture and mix to coat (you should have 8 cups apple mixture).[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2. Scrape apple mixture into unbaked bottom crust in pan. Cover with top crust and flute edges (see notes).[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]3. Bake on bottom rack of a 375° regular or convection oven for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg yolk with 2 teaspoons water to blend. Brush pie lightly with yolk mixture (save extra for other uses or discard), then sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sugar. Continue baking until filling bubbles in center (check through cutout or slits), 25 to 30 minutes longer. If crust browns too quickly (check 10 minutes after brushing with egg), cover pie loosely with foil.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]4. Let pie cool on a rack at least 1 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]/[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]2[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] hours. Cut into wedges and serve, or chill airtight up to 1 day.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Per serving: 465 cal., 43% (198 cal.) from fat; 3.8 g protein; 22 g fat (9.8 g sat.); 64 g carbo (2.9 g fiber); 279 mg sodium; 58 mg chol. [/font]

Never in my life have I ever purchased or used tapioca of any type so this'll be a new thing to me:ohmy: ...having said that, this just could be it. thank you very much for doing that for me. I'll try it, what the heck, and see if it's the ticket. I'll post after it's been tasted and let you know. again, thanks!:mrgreen:

I've never used tapioca either. I really hope that it works. Please, let me know if it comes out right, I may have to try this. I've not seen a pie with lemon and apples together.

I haven't used quick cooking tapioca, but used tapioca flour on a regular basis. I use it for thickening, like corn starch, so my guess is that's what makes this pie thicken. Good luck!

Looks like texasgirl might have come to your rescue, lefse! I'm going to move this to the dessert forum to make sure others see it.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I thought of this great pie - a real summertime favorite. I hope it is close to what you want. An apple pie with lemony sauce...[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Apple Lemon Summer Pie[/font]
1 pie crust (premade or homemade)

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Filling:
3/4 c sugar
3 tb potato starch
3 ts lemon rind, grated
4 tb lemon juice, fresh
1 tb cold water
1 egg, beaten
8 apples, grated
Pinch of salt

Meringue:
2 egg whites
1 tb sugar

Filling:
1.In saucepan, mix sugar and potato starch. Add remaining ingredients, and heat to boiling. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
2.Cool. Pour into crust. Top with meringue and bake at 300F until golden.​

Meringue:
1.Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until stiff and glossy but not dry.
[/font]

LEFSElover said:
Never in my life have I ever purchased or used tapioca of any type so this'll be a new thing to me:ohmy: ...having said that, this just could be it. thank you very much for doing that for me. I'll try it, what the heck, and see if it's the ticket. I'll post after it's been tasted and let you know. again, thanks!:mrgreen:

I prefer tapioca in my fruit pies. The juices stay bright and the tapioca doesn't interfere with the flavor. Just my opinion. Be sure to use the tiny tapioca.

Last edited:
so many thank yous

didn't know there were so many things here on this bulletin board. having said that, I am sitting at the computer next to two men on the other computers who are chomping and glomping and making noises in their teeth while they're eating and making me a nervous wreck having to hear them. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.:angry:

thanks for the input, all of you, and when I return home to my own state, I'll make a trip- to the market and see if I can find what aisle the tapioca is on:blink:

Last edited:
LEFSElover,
I don't know if you would like to try this recipe I have , but it sure is GOOD !
line a tin or pie dish with pastry,
cover the pastry with sliced apple,
now pour over the lemon pie filling, bake for about 20 mins.
while this is cooking, make up the meringue topping ( egg whites and fine sugar )
when the pie is cooked put the meringue over the pie and return to the oven for about
5-10 mins or till the top is golden ..
this is really a nice pie, try it out..
The baker...

This could be what you're looking for. I found it in my HUGE recipe database.

Apple/Lemon Pie
Lemon peel provides an added flavor dimension.

3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons lemon zest
7 cups thinly sliced apples (Granny Smith works best)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
4 tablespoons milk (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon peel. Line one crust in a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Layer 1/3 of apples into pie crust. Sprinkle with sugar mixture and repeat until done. Sprinkle with lemon juice and dot with butter. Place second pie crust on top of filling and flute the edges. Cut vents in top crust and brush with milk for a glazed appearance if desired. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 40 to 50 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom