"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Executive Chef

I need bakers with some help please

My son requested a pie (that the aunt of a friend of his made) and he loved. I tried coming up with something off the seat of my pants, twice now. It's not worked and I know why but don't know how to fix it or make it proper. It's been a couple of years and probably I could somehow get her recipe, but it's a shot in the dark that someone here can help so I'll start here.

He said it was an apple pie and lemon filling pie all in one. In other words, the pie inside was lemon like you'd find in a meringue lemon pie with apple pie filling mixed in or vice versa. I tried making an apple pie filling like I regularly do and then making the lemon meringue filling like I usually do and combining the two. The flavor was great but the moisture from the apples really made it a wet wet wet mess inside that didn't coagulate to a solid piece of pie when sliced. Rather it oozed all over the plate. So, next time I tried making a stiffer lemon part (by using more corn starch) and adding more flour to the apple part. Still it was too wet and then the flavor suffered too.

If you can figure this mess out and help, I'd sure appreciate it. I love lemon meringue pies and have my mothers Myer lemons here right now at home with me so I'm ready to go. Just think of a typical apple pie with the lemon meringue being the filling part of the apple pie, but how do I GET THERE?

Old 05-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Master Chef

I googled and found this, hopefully it's what your looking for. Good luck!!

Sunglow Apple-Lemon Pie
PREP AND COOK TIME: About 1 3/4 hours, plus at least 1 1/2 hours to cool

NOTES: Prepare Sunset's Favorite Pie Pastry or the Sunglow Pie Pastry, or use 1 package (15 oz.) refrigerated pastry and follow steps 5 and 6 of the Sunset recipe to line pan, position top crust, and flute edges.

MAKES: 8 servings

3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/4 pounds Newtown Pippin apples (about 4)
Pastry for a 9-inch double-crust pie (see notes)
1 large egg yolk

1. In a bowl, mix 3/4 cup sugar, tapioca, butter, and lemon extract. Peel and core apples; slice (1/4 in. thick) into sugar mixture and mix to coat (you should have 8 cups apple mixture).

2. Scrape apple mixture into unbaked bottom crust in pan. Cover with top crust and flute edges (see notes).

3. Bake on bottom rack of a 375 regular or convection oven for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg yolk with 2 teaspoons water to blend. Brush pie lightly with yolk mixture (save extra for other uses or discard), then sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sugar. Continue baking until filling bubbles in center (check through cutout or slits), 25 to 30 minutes longer. If crust browns too quickly (check 10 minutes after brushing with egg), cover pie loosely with foil.

4. Let pie cool on a rack at least 1 1/2 hours. Cut into wedges and serve, or chill airtight up to 1 day.

Per serving: 465 cal., 43% (198 cal.) from fat; 3.8 g protein; 22 g fat (9.8 g sat.); 64 g carbo (2.9 g fiber); 279 mg sodium; 58 mg chol.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Never in my life have I ever purchased or used tapioca of any type so this'll be a new thing to me ...having said that, this just could be it. thank you very much for doing that for me. I'll try it, what the heck, and see if it's the ticket. I'll post after it's been tasted and let you know. again, thanks!
Old 05-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Master Chef

I've never used tapioca either. I really hope that it works. Please, let me know if it comes out right, I may have to try this. I've not seen a pie with lemon and apples together.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
Head Chef

I haven't used quick cooking tapioca, but used tapioca flour on a regular basis. I use it for thickening, like corn starch, so my guess is that's what makes this pie thicken. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
Master Chef

Looks like texasgirl might have come to your rescue, lefse! I'm going to move this to the dessert forum to make sure others see it.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #7
Executive Chef

thanks y'all.........

PA.......appreciate it!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I thought of this great pie - a real summertime favorite. I hope it is close to what you want. An apple pie with lemony sauce...

Apple Lemon Summer Pie
1 pie crust (premade or homemade)

Filling:
3/4 c sugar
3 tb potato starch
3 ts lemon rind, grated
4 tb lemon juice, fresh
1 tb cold water
1 egg, beaten
8 apples, grated
Pinch of salt

Meringue:
2 egg whites
1 tb sugar

Filling:
1.In saucepan, mix sugar and potato starch. Add remaining ingredients, and heat to boiling. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
2.Cool. Pour into crust. Top with meringue and bake at 300F until golden.

Meringue:
1.Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until stiff and glossy but not dry.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
Never in my life have I ever purchased or used tapioca of any type so this'll be a new thing to me ...having said that, this just could be it. thank you very much for doing that for me. I'll try it, what the heck, and see if it's the ticket. I'll post after it's been tasted and let you know. again, thanks!
I prefer tapioca in my fruit pies. The juices stay bright and the tapioca doesn't interfere with the flavor. Just my opinion. Be sure to use the tiny tapioca.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thumbs down so many thank yous

didn't know there were so many things here on this bulletin board. having said that, I am sitting at the computer next to two men on the other computers who are chomping and glomping and making noises in their teeth while they're eating and making me a nervous wreck having to hear them. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

thanks for the input, all of you, and when I return home to my own state, I'll make a trip- to the market and see if I can find what aisle the tapioca is on

Tags
None