"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 12-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
dang, I was going to offer to help with the pecan pie, but it looks like you ate the last piece for breakfast..

Thanks, beth. Next time I make one, I'll remember that I should give you a call.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
Everymom

Well Andy, I think the issue was likely that you didn't have the quality control that was necessary to ensure perfect pie. I know where you can find an inspector .

Seriously though, the pie crust sometimes sticks with mine too. Doesn't seem to matter if its storebought or homemade. I speculate that somehow the distribution of fat molecules is screwed up.

As for the burned taste, I think you are absolutely right about it just being a shade too hot in the oven. Covering it with foil wouldn't affect the filling as it reacts to the heat from all directions not just the top right? So all you are doing would be protecting the pecans.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...you making that again for Christmas dinner? I'm on my way if so.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks, beth. Next time I make one, I'll remember that I should give you a call.

Happy to help.

740-287-2964
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
Master Chef

My crust always sticks in places on a pecan pie. Doesn't matter if it's Pillsbury or homemade. The way you said the nuts tasted burnt sounds like not all the nuts tasted that way. My guess is that perhaps some of the pecan halves may have been older than the rest.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, you guys, for all the helpful information.

beth, I hope I don't lose that number...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I noticed the same thing last year myself. This year I lightly dusted the bottom of the pan with AP flour and the crust did not stick to the pan. I asked my grandma why the crust was sticking and she told me that the temperature of the crust AND the pan must be about the same. If the crust is cool and the pan is warm, which happens in a warm kitchen when so many other things are going on, the crust will sweat and thus, stick. She says to put the pan in another room until you're ready to use it and then sprinkle a little flour in it before you lay the crust in. This absorbs any excess moisture. It was worth a try and it worked!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
I noticed the same thing last year myself. This year I lightly dusted the bottom of the pan with AP flour and the crust did not stick to the pan. I asked my grandma why the crust was sticking and she told me that the temperature of the crust AND the pan must be about the same. If the crust is cool and the pan is warm, which happens in a warm kitchen when so many other things are going on, the crust will sweat and thus, stick. She says to put the pan in another room until you're ready to use it and then sprinkle a little flour in it before you lay the crust in. This absorbs any excess moisture. It was worth a try and it worked!

AHA! By George, I think you've got it!

Thinking back to the circumstances that day, this could easily be the answer.

Thanks Dash and give your Grandma a big hug and kiss for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
Master Chef

This brings up a couple of things I have heard and am wondering if they are true:

One: If using refrigerated pie dough, refrigerate the pan if you are using a metal pan, then let warm up before adding filling and cooking. This will help keep them at the same temp and prevent sticking. Any truth there?

Two: Again when using metal pie tins, use a dull one instead of a shiny one, the shiny one may end up cooking the pie too fast. And truth to that either?

Bonus question: Which is better, glass or metal pie tins?

Thanks all!!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I always use glass pie plates. They seem to give me a nicely browned crust on the bottom.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Glass -- White -- Corning Ware I think!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None