"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 12-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #41
Everymom

Oh my gosh. That pie is gorgeous and I'm so jealous.

I've always blind baked my crust before putting in the filling and never had it stick. I wonder if that is the key?

I say you need to test another pie and when you are placing the crust in, be aware and try not to press the pastry in too deep. Let the filling settle the crust a bit. And when its done, mail that baby up here. I'll test it for you!

You are a pie master Andy, that is a work of art.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Alix.

Taking the time to carefully place those pecan halves on the top takes all the patience I have. Anything that takes longer, like making paklava or spanakopita with those individually buttered layers of filo gets passed of to Suzanne.

I feel the need to make another pie for Christmas. I'll try pre-baking the crust and covering the top so it doesn't burn.

Do you brush the pie crust with egg white before blind baking it to provide a waterproof coating?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #43
Everymom

Yes I do, but usually only for a couple minutes after its been in for a bit. And when its something sticky like pecan pie I use some parchment paper INSIDE the crust and use dried lentils or beans as my pie weights. The other thing I was thinking is that if you use a glass pie plate, after you blind bake you can take a peek underneath and at the sides to see where it might be stuck and you could maybe use a knife or spatula to loosen it before you pour in the filling?

So...blind baking for me with pecan pie looks like this:

Cut parchment to fit inside of pie. (I cut a couple of slits and then overlap those so there are no wrinkles) Then pour in about 1 cup of beans or something as pie weights. Bake for about 10 minutes at 350. Take out, let sit for about 3-5, take out pie weights and paper, brush with egg wash and put back in oven just long enough to set the wash (5ish minutes). I watch it at this point and take it out if it looks like it will bubble or get too dark.

That make sense? And when I bake the pie I do the foil thing around the edges so the crust doesn't overbake.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks again, Alix. Pecan Pie is on the menu for Christmas.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #45
Senior Cook

I went back and reread all of the posts about sticking just to be sure I had not overlooked anything and the real puzzle is that this is an intermittent problem. Andy says he has had a lot of success with his pie and only an occasional sticking problem. So the question is why does it stick sometimes and not others? I am assuming he pretty much uses the same method every time; but for using store-bought crusts vs. making his own.

My impression is the sticking occurs with the store crusts and not with the homemade crusts; but am not sure about that and need to look again at his earlier comments.

Guess I need to run a little experiment and make up 5 or 6 pies to see if I can figure out what is the problem. That sure is going to wreck havoc with my diet; but that is just the sacrifice I will have to make in the name of cooking science.!!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

Do you think five or six pies is enough?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Probably not; but I need to show at least a little restraint until I am down to weight ond off my diet!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Andy; I just realized that I have a copy of "JOY" on loan from the library so I took a quick peek to see what they suggested. Gotta go out in a few minutes to pick up my new bike so i only had tome to look at the section specifically about pecan pies. A review of the general section on pie crusts will have to wait until later.

Rombauer's suggest:
1. Blind baking the crust.
2. Useing an egg yolk glaze on the crust.
3. Bake @ 375 for 35 to 45 minutes.
4. "DEAR ABBY" recipe calls for 40 to 50 minutes @ 350.

Looks like your hour @ 375 might be a little too long??

More later.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Randy, thanks for taking the time to check it out. My recipe is a hour at 350F NOT 375F. When I take it out of the oven, the center of the filling is just barely set.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

Pecan Pie

If you use a frozen pie crust, simply take the crust out of the pie pan while frozen, spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray and then put the pie crust back in the pan. Then you can thaw and fill. Also, make sure the pie crust doesn't have any cracks or openings before pouring in the filling. If so the liquid will seep through and cause sticking and burning.
Hope this was helpful! Happy Baking!

Tags
None