I'll make you a deal! Apple Pie help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put a couple on for you Charlie. Pastry, apple pie and Russian. Any others you'd like me to add?

I start my pie crust with 3 cups of flour, add 1 1/2 tsp. of salt, and then start cutting in the lard. I don't measure the lard. I just plop about 1/3 cup in and cut it in. If the mixture doesn't have enough fat, it won't form the required pea-gravel sized bits of dough. If it has too much fat, it forms rectangular strips of dough as I press the pastry cutter through it. I simply adjust the fat and flour ratio until the dough texture is just right, like a bunch of little dough pebbles. I then add about 3 tbs. of ice water, just enough to make it stick together enough so that it doesn't fall apart after it's rolled out.

Don't worry about overworking the dough and making it tough until after the water is added. The gluten won't develop in the absence of water. You can work the flour and fat all day long and not have any problems. But once you add the water, stir it just enough to bind the pieces together. Flour the working surface, divide the dough into two equal halves, and flatten one of them onto the working surface. Sprinkle a bit more flour on top to keep the rolling pin from sticking and roll from the center outward in all directions until the dough forms a round disk that is about 1.5 inches larger than the diameter of the pie pan rim. Cut the edges of the disk to create a smooth edge. This will keep the dough from tearing when you try to lift it. Roll the crust onto the pin, or fold in half, and then half again to form a triangle. put the center of the crust (the point if folded) into the center of the pie pan and gently press down to fill the pan. brush with egg wash and bake in a 425' F. oven for five minutes to set the egg wash. Add the filling. For apple pie, the filling should rise above the pie pan to form a mound of goodness. Roll out the second dough ball as you did the first and use the same technique to lift and place it onto the pie. Carefully work the top crust between the overlapping area of the bottom crust and the pie pan. Pinch together the top and bottom crust, wlightly twisting each pinch to form a pretty, fluted edge. Make steam vents. Brush the top crust with egg wash and sprinkle coarse sugar and cinnamon on top. Bake for an hour at 365'F.

If you want to wow the crowd, divide one of the dough-balls in half again, and roll it large enough to fill the pie pan. Lay caramel apple wraps in the bottom to cover. Roll the second half of the bottom crust and lay over the first half. Continue as above with the egg-wash, blind baking, etc. after putting the filling into the pie, drop bits of caramel all over the top before putting the top crust on. Now that's an apple pie.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom