"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
I've always cut mine in half, gutted them, then baked them cut side up covered with aluminium foil for about an hour or so. Until they're soft enough that I can mush the insides with a spoon.

SodiumPentathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Head Chef
I always halve mine but if I am not planning to roast the seeds for eating I don't remove them till after they are completely roasted. It is much easier to get the seeds out after the cooking is done.

joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Head Chef
I don't know if pumpkins are like squash but everything I've read recommends allowing [the squash] to sit for 10 days to 2 weeks after picking to allow them to harden. I know my acorn and butternut both taste better if I do this.
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Jumping in as a long-time lurker - but you can also make a pumpkin pie with a green (non-ripe) pumpkin. We read about it in one of the 'Little House' books and gave it a try, they tasted great! A little different in flavour to one made with a ripe pumpkin, but just different different, not bad different. I use it as a way to use unripe pumpkins now.

In saying that, my recipe sounds a little different to most here given that I don't roast the pumpkin - I boil and mash it, and add eggs, evap milk, sugar and spices (that's from memory without a recipe, I think there's some flour in there as well, and maybe something else I've forgotten).

stassie is offline   Reply With Quote