"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 09-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Cook

ISO advice making pumpkin pies using fresh pumpkin

I planted some Sugar Pumpkins for making pies and I've never done ths before. I've always planted Pumpkins for carving Jack O Lanterns.

How do you know when they are ripe enough to make pies out of them?

I'm pretty new at baking and cooking. My Mom and grandma use to do all of it. Since they are both gone I just started developing an interest in it.

This is the recipie I am planning on using.

How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie - from a Real Pumpkin, Not a Can! - Easily! With Step-by-step Directions, Photos, Ingredients, Recipe and Costs

THANKS!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Great site. It even gives you all the ways to cook the pumpkin. I like baking them best. I had a friend who boiled hers, but I think it made the pumpkin flesh have less flavor than baking.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Cook

Yeah they basically tell you everything. I call it my Recipies for dummies website. I love it.

My big question is how do you know when they are ripe enough to make pies with?

When they turn 100% Orange? Most of mine have been orange for close to 2 weeks and the plants are already mostly dead.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTaxi
When they turn 100% Orange? Most of mine have been orange for close to 2 weeks and the plants are already mostly dead.
If the vines are dead/dieing.....I would think they are ready.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Cook

You'd thing so. I just want to make sure I don't have to let them set for a week or so before using them.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't think you have to let them set....If they are Orange and the vines are dead....You are good to go ~~ don't let them set too long in the punkin patch..or you may run the risk of them rotting...especially if it's "wet weather"

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Head Chef

If the skins are hard and you can't make much of mark with your thumbnail, they are ready. And if the vines are dead, they won't get any 'readier'!

I roasted my pumpkins last year for pie--I cut them in half, seeded and scraped the inside, and roasted them cut side down til they were soft. If you roast them cut side up, you will get hard brown surfaces that don't puree well.

I peeled them after they were roasted. (Well, actually, I scraped the pulp off the peel with a big spoon.)

I froze mine in 2 cup bags--the right amount for making one pie. It freezes very nicely.

Also, you do not have to do all of your pumpkins right now. I didn't make puree til March--pumpkins last a long time in a cool, dry place. And the longer you wait to make your puree, the less watery it will be, because the pumpkin dries out over time. Mine were firm and solid in March--I cooked them because I was tired of tripping over them!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Cook

Thanks guys!

Sparrowgrass. When you said cut side down do you mean the inside of the pumpkin down? What temp did you have the over? How long did you roast them or how did you tell they were done?

I'm going to go pull them all later today. It is starting to rain and we get a lot of it here
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Head Chef

Yep, inside down. I think I had the oven on 375 or so, and I just kept poking them with a fork every once in a while until they were tender. Maybe an hour? It will depend a lot on how big they are. If you do have to put some cut side up, just cover them loosely with foil to keep the flesh from browning.

I scraped all the pulp into the food processor bowl and whizzed it up after it cooled a little.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I just prick mine whole with a fork and bake in the oven at 350 for about 45-75 minutes. This is how I also make butternut squash. When you can pull the stem off, they are done. I then slice the pumpkin open and scoop out the seeds, scoop out the pulp, and puree it after it cools for a bit.

Tags
pumpkin