ISO Apple Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I can make gorgeous baked apples. I can make super pie crusts and pies. But i can't seem to put the two together to make beautiful apple dumplings. I just can't get the crust to stand up around the apples while they're baking. They taste good enough, but I want them to look amazing as well. Looking for step-by-step help.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed
When I make apple dumplings (not often, nowadays) I make sure the apples are good 'cookers' like Bramleys. I then make sure that I core them, put mincemeat (home made) in the cored centre). I make sure I coat the apple with clarified butter and then coat with pastry. I then egg-wash the outside of the pastry.

This is the recipe I use for apple dumplings. It came from an Amish lady in Lancaster, PA. I just wish I could remember her name. :( I have 6 apples & I'm planning on making these real soon. These are not step by step instructions but maybe there's something here that will help you.

Apple Dumplings

DOUGH
2 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

SAUCE
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups water
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

6 apples peeled & cut in half

Instructions: DOUGH: Mix flour, baking powder, salt, & shortening. Add milk - enough to hold dough together.

SAUCE: Mix ingredients together in sauce pan over low heat.

DUMPLINGS: Roll out dough & cut into squares. Place 1 apple on each square. Wet edges of dough & press around apples.

Place dumplings in baking pan. Pour sauce over them & bake at 350* for 45 minutes.

Granny's Apple Dumplings

GRANNY'S APPLE DUMPLINGS
2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 c. water
1/4 c. butter
6 apples
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. shortening
1/2 c. milk
First make sauce by combining sugar, spices and 2 cups water. Cook 5 minutes. Add butter, stir until melted. Set aside while you prepare dumplings. Pare and core apples. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder; cut in shortening. Add milk. Roll out and cut six 5 inch squares, 1/4 inch thick. Place one apple or each square, sprinkle with additional sugar and spices to taste. Dot with butter. Fold corners up and pinch edges together. Place one inch apart in baking pan. Pour sauce over the square and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. You can add a little red food coloring to sauce or a handful of red hot candies to sauce if you want a red color. Serve hot with cream if you want.

Thanks everyone. I'll be trying these out soon. If the pastry holds its shape, then it will be a success. Again, thanks. I knew that DC was the place to ask the question.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

there seem to be two approaches here: 1 with a regular short crust and 1 with a biscuit crust.

i've never tried with a biscuit crust, but i'm pretty sure that would be rather more frail.

the standard approach is to place apple on the square or round of crust, moisten the edge(s) and crimp them together. to help keep the crust from splitting and falling down, try adding a small amount of flour to the water to make a thin paste (read: "glue") to brush on, and then use a fork to crimp the edges together. i know using a fork is less aesthetically pleasing, but it works pretty well.

for another approach, place the apple on the pastry upside-down, crimp, and bake right-side-up, with the seams meeting underneath the apple. the down-side on this approach is that if you don't crimp well, some of the juices can leak.

icon12.gif

Ishbel said:
Goodweed
When I make apple dumplings (not often, nowadays) I make sure the apples are good 'cookers' like Bramleys. I then make sure that I core them, put mincemeat (home made) in the cored centre). I make sure I coat the apple with clarified butter and then coat with pastry. I then egg-wash the outside of the pastry.

Hi, I came across this while perusing the threads here and your's sounded/looked yummy. I love apples and I love mincemeat, and would love to try this out. Do you have a recipe for it that you can post? Thanks.:)

Back
Top Bottom