ISO Banana Cream Pie recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
:question:I need some help with "Banana Cream Pie" I have always loved the look and sound of it, and always wanted to try it but I have no recipie. I know it is an American favourite, so can someone help me with the recipie "PLEASE".
I really want to know how to make it, the pictures I've seen look soooo YUMMY. In fact any great American pie or favourite dessert would be great, I would love to make something different for my family at our family dinners.
Thanks for any help Spiritwolf.:)

Well, Sprirtwolf, the first thing I would do is to "Google" banana cream pie recipes. Then I would go to epicurious.com for a recipe. Epicurious is one of the places I often go to for information or a recipe for a particular food. Those two resources should give you enough information to keep you busy for a long, long while.

The only Banana Cream Pies that I make are dark in color. They taste excellet but they they are ugly in color. Are imitation banana cream pies the only ones that are yellow? Lemon would only make my pies taste nasty. I guess you just have to give up something like appearance to eat a truly good banana cream pie.

Go to Foodnetwork.com, in the SEARCH box, type in banana cream pie + gale gand, then hit the SEARCH button.

Gale Gand is the executive pastry chef for Tru, one of the best restaurants in Chicago and a consultant to several other top restaurants as well, so her banana cream pie will be excellent!

I love the banana cream pie that is sold by a chain here in Chicago called Bakers Square. I have yet to eat a Banana Cream Pie that tastes as good as theirs. Given I love to experiment I made one based on the ones they make and it turned out pretty good. Here is the recipe I followed. It's not to fussy but produces incredibly good results:

- Readymade Pie crust (not cooked but frozen and ready to bake kind). I hope these are available in Australia

- Custard - I make mine using a shortcut - Some custard powder (Birds or Brown & Poulson), milk, sugar and a good whisk. Keep stirring until it's thick and creamy. Let it chill in the refrigerator

- Heavy Cream - Whip it with some powdered sugar and tsp of vanilla

- 2 small bananas thinly sliced. Sprinkle a little lemon juice on it so they don't turn black.

- Toasted sliced almonds

Bake the pie crust until golden. Put some weight on it so it does not puff up while baking. Let it cool completely.

Fill it with the custard. Arrange the bananas on top of the custard. Add the whipped cream on top of the bananas and sprinkle with the almonds. Let it chill in the refrigerator for an hour. Cut and serve.

It's really very good and easy.

Wow, Thanks Yakuta, that sounds so easy and very delish and moreish, I will be making your version this weekend, hopefully if time permits, I love the sound of it, Also thankyou to everyone for your help so far, I will be following up with all of your ideas.

I am looking for a "from scratch" rec for banana cream pie like my mom and grandma use to make. they are not here any longer or I would ask them.

I only remember homemade crusts made with Crisco shortening. Crust was lined with sliced bananas. Filling was made on the stove with milk, egg yolks, sugar,etc. After the filling was made it was poured into a baked pie shell and homemade meringue put on top and baked til top was golden brown. mmmm!!!

I have a recipe at home that I'll get for you from a book of State Fair winning recipes. I made it once and it was really good - it has one thing different about it, though, a crust made from coconut fried in the pan, then pressed into the pie plate. I wasn't so sure about this, but it was an excellent idea. Sandyj

I changed a few things here to adapt to my own kitchen, but the original is from The Old Farmer's Almanac Best Home Baking, Coconut Banana Cream Pie.
Crust:
3 cups of coconut - the sweetened kind that you buy in the cake baking isle
6 tablespoons of butter

Filling
1/4 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup of all purpose flour
pinch of salt
3 cups of light whipping cream
4 egg yolks (buy the best you can find - uncaged, organic)
2 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
2 large or 3 med. bananas - mashed

For decoration:
Another cup of whipped cream
More sliced bananas

Crust:
Saute the coconut in butter until it starts to turn a golden brown colour
Press all except about 2 tblsp of the cocunut into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 350 F (or about 180 C) for 6-7 minutes.

Filling:
Mix all of the dry ingredients into about a 5 qt saucepan. Using a whisk, mix in th cream and egg yolks and gradually bring this mixture to a boil - stirring all the while.
Let it boil for about 2 minutes, and then add the vanilla. Remove from the stove and allow it to cool to room temp.

Here's where I differ from the original - when the mixture is cool, whisk in the 2 mashed bananas ( the original recipe says slice the bananas, layer on the bottom of the pie crust and put the custard mixture on top).

Put the mixture onto the crust, cover it and chill for about two hours.

When set, sprinkle the top with the remaining 2tbs of cocunut and garnich with the whipped cream and extra slices of bananas.

TNT banana cream pie

I realize I'm bringing this thread back from the dead a few months too late, but it caught my eye and I can't resist posting my recipe. It's incredibly simple - I'd never made a custard filled pie from scratch before this one and was terrified that I'd mess it up, but it was the easiest thing ever! It also tastes amazing. Not overly sweet, and the custard flavor really compliments the bananas well.

Banana Cream Pie

3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 medium firm bananas
1 9-inch pie shell, baked
whipped cream or Cool Whip
sliced bananas

1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; stir in milk and mix well.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat.
4. Stir a small amount of cream mixture into egg yolks; return all to saucepan.
5. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from the heat.
6. Add butter and vanilla; mix well; allow to cool slightly.
7. Slice bananas and place evenly along bottom of pastry shell; pour cream mixture over bananas.
8. Cool; before serving, garnish with whipped cream or Cool Whip and more sliced bananas.
9. Refrigerate any leftovers.

:chef:

I may be making this again soon, so I'll be sure to take a picture. It comes out light yellowish in color, a contrast to the problem StirBlue mentioned about turning out dark pies. I may also try it with a meringue topping. I'll post how it comes out. :)

Back
Top Bottom