ISO: Dutch Apple Pie Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshatdot

Senior Cook
I want to try and re-create the Dutch Apple Pie my Granma made, and want to know what recipes you all know or like the best.

goggled it and found several recipes that are close to mine. allrecipes.com is one complete with brown paper bag. sorry couldn't find mine. it has been a long time. the bags keeps the shape of the apple and avoids burning of the topping. enjoy!

Thanks babetoo, I found one that was simple and looked (by the pic) very similar to my grans. I printed it out, but can't find it now, and the Google results cant refind it again, lol.

I'll post back when I find it.

edit: fund the printer behind my toaster, and found it on Google again.

And whoa it uses a paper bag too! (well parchment paper):

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dutch-Apple-Pie/Detail.aspx

Dutch Apple Pie

5 large Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie

- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon. Pour over apples in crust. Sprinkle lemon juice on top.
- Cut 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup butter or margarine together, and top pie with the mixture.
- Take two 15 inch pieces of parchment paper and enclose pie; fold edges up 3 times. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven, split parchment open and cool pie on wire rack. DO NOT open parchment covering while baking! Serve warm, or at room temperature.

I would love to try this one, also found at allrecipies:

Dutch Apple Pie with Oatmeal Streusel Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

1 (9 inch) pie shell
5 cups apples - peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup butter
Directions

- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Fit pastry shell into pie pan and place in freezer.
- To Make Apple Filling: Place apples in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine 2 tablespoons flour, white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Mix well, then add to apples. Toss until apples are evenly coated.
- Remove pie shell from freezer. Place apple mixture in pie shell and dot with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine. Lay a sheet of aluminum foil lightly on top of filling, but do not seal.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- While filling is baking, make Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar, oats, and lemon peel. Mix thoroughly, then cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly. Remove filling from oven and sprinkle streusel on top.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until streusel is browned and apples are tender. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom