"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO help making graham cracker crust

Every time I make a graham cracker crust it falls apart. I've tried a couple different recipes, and it always happens. Any ideas?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Tell us how you make the crust so we can help.

It's basically ground up graham crackers, sugar and butter combined, pressed into a pan and baked for 10 minutes.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I usually use butter, brown sugar and graham crackers and pack it very firm, if you are having trouble packing with utensils because the crust sticks back, lay your crust cover with wax paper and press with hands, try to keep it even and smooth and your good
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Master Chef

One of the keys to graham cracker crusts is the packing. It needs to be fairly dense to hold together well. Try making a double recipe and making sure that you pack it as tightly in the pan bottom as you can without increasing the thickness. This may help.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone - I think the packing is my problem. I've tried a bunch of different recipes and they all fall apart, so it makes sense that it's the packing. Even though the crust I made fell apart, the pie I tried this weekend was great:

graham cracker crust filled with 2 C fresh blueberries and topped with the topping from my favorite apple crisp recipe (1/2 C flour, 1/2 C sugar, 1/2 C oats, 1/3 C melted butter, cinnamon and 1/3 C sliced almonds). No one seemed to mind that the crust fell apart!

Tags
None