"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
ISO help making grandma's pie

i am trying to make my grandma's sugar cream pie and it will not set up. the recipe calls for 1.5 cups milk, flour, sugar, butter and nutmeg. my dad loves them but he is eating soup. what can i be doing wrong?

mimi1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Welcome to DC, Mimi!! If you posted the whole recipe, someone may be able to help you better. Almost sounds like the sugar pies my Mom made when i was young.

Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Head Chef
Thumbs up Brown Sugar Pie

Originally Posted by mimi1967 View Post
i am trying to make my grandma's sugar cream pie and it will not set up. the recipe calls for 1.5 cups milk, flour, sugar, butter and nutmeg. my dad loves them but he is eating soup. what can i be doing wrong?
I know your question about the sugar cream pie is kinda old but here is something similar, maybe it will help.

Mother’s Brown Sugar Pie
My daughter remembers her grandmother with great fondness and her brown sugar pie she had during the summers with her grandparents.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees – steady and right on.

3 cups light brown sugar – loose pack, not firm. This is ½ cup more than a one pound bag.
3 tablespoons flour
Ό cup butter – melted (I use unsalted even though I’m sure mother used salted butter)
3 large eggs
Ύ cup half and half
2 teaspoons vanilla
9” unbaked pie shell – or two smaller shells, probably better. With frozen pie shells this entire thing is quick.

Mix the flour into the brown sugar and incorporate until even color is obtained.
Mix in the melted butter to even consistency.
Mix in the eggs one at a time, not adding the following egg until well incorporated.
Mix in the half and half.
Mix in the vanilla.
Pour into the pie shell(s).

Because this mix tended to over load the shell the first time I tried it I placed the pie pan on a cookie sheet that was definitely not new and shinny. Protect the edge of the crust with strips of aluminum and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foil and continue – in my last bake for Thanksgiving I used two frozen pie crusts in aluminum throwaway pans and baked for a total of about 50 minutes.

Sorry about all the detail – I resurrected the recipe for my daughter.
David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
mimi - like Loprraine said, we will have to see your whole recipe with the method included. Otherwise we don't know how you assembled/cooked/baked everything.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote