ISO help/recipes for pie crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deeppitbbq

Cook
Would like a recipe for a single and double crust pie. I have a food processor..but..not sure if I should try and make one by hand or if using a food processor will work. Would appreciate recipes and help on my question please. Thanks for everyones help.

I have to say...I despise making pie crust! My hatred for it when I recieved a food processor a while back.
I follow the regular recipe but: put dry ings. in FP and pulse. add butter/shortening or whatever your using, and pulse until crumbly. I then take off the lid and add the water all at once (that's prolly just laziness and not feeling like pouring it through the spout while pulsing) and then pulse till it comes together. don't over pulse.
that's how i do it, then chill it and roll it.
hope that helps!:chef:

Pet-Ritz refrigerated pie crusts, rolled up in a tube (no embarrassing seams), in your grocers dairy case. Pet-Ritz does this for a living, and they're VERY good at it!

deeppit, you've only been here a short while and already touched on my two most sensitive cooking challenges - gravy and pie crust.

I sent you a PM about the gravy

I go for the Pillsbury pie crusts - tasty and way easy to use, even for dummies like me.

2 c. flour
2/3 c. shortening
5-6 T. cold water

I use a mixture of white shortening and soft margarine. Cut this into the flour until it resembles small peas. Add water a T. at a time to a portion of the flour mixture, pushing the moistened part to the side and adding water to some more...don't just stir it up. Gather up into 2 balls and chill, unless it's already pretty cold in your kitchen! Roll out on a floured surface. I have a rolling pin sheet and set from Tupperware I really like. Makes 2 crusts or a top and bottom. Follow pie recipe about baking before or after filling. A trick I use to get the crust into the pie plate: Use a narrow spatula to lift up the crust and fold in half, then quarters.
I don't own a food processor, but I can't see how it would be much easier or better. :)

The food processor is a wonderful tool to make pie crust, but you have to be careful to handle ithe dough very little.

Make sure the fat you are using is ice cold and cut into small bits. The water should be icy cold, too.

When you combine the flour, salt, water and fat, quickly pulse the processor ON and OFF until the ingredients resemble small peas.

Then, take the "dough" out and gently gather it together until it holds together. The key is to handle it as little as possible.

Pat it into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill thoroughly before rolling.

Back
Top Bottom