ISO help w/Italian meringue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark111757

Assistant Cook
hello once again and greets to the group.....i found a recipe for lemon meringue tart and the meringue bit is confusing...i first found the recipe on sbs.com.au but for whatever reason it is not here now....

the meringue part calls for 300g of pasterurised egg whites (from a carton) and 500g of caster sugar....the recipe calls for the sugar to be disolved with a little water and of course there is NO mention of how much water.....which is why i have come here....

any of you good folks care to take a shot at how much water i would need for this.......the recipe says that it makes more than you need so i was thinking about filling some ice cream cones with it and carefully blowtorching them when done.....

any assistance on this would be gratefully appreciated...thank you all muchly

(the recipe was for a lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly)....

ps-will have my kitchen aide at the ready............:)

Hi Mark,
I know that Italian meringue is made by whisking hot sugar syrup into the egg whites so, for 500grs of sugar I would add 300 mls of water and slowly bring to a simmer to dissolve all the crystals. However, that is a LOT of meringue me thinks. I love the idea of your little 'Baked Alaska' cones. Won't they melt pretty fast though?
I'm sure one of the other Guys on this site will have a more accurate recipe for you but it does sound delicious
Good luck anyway

hey....thanks for the reply......what i was thinking about was serving the cones with spoons in a some type of plexiglass holder with holes cut out that would fit the cones......worth a shot at any rate.....

thanks again for the reply!!

Back
Top Bottom