"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Well, for starters, if you are going to use a prepared pie crust, get yourself the Pillsbury's that come two to a box and roll it out a little thinner and fit it into your own pie pan.

I make Lemon Merengue Pie with Lemon Curd for the filling, because it is so heavenly, so I use no conrstarch and no flour. and have no problem with "watery."

Betty, the fresh lemons have NOTHING to do with the "tinny" taste. I have never used bottled lemon juice and have never had any problem with tinny.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
...I make Lemon Merengue Pie with Lemon Curd for the filling, because it is so heavenly, so I use no conrstarch and no flour. and have no problem with "watery."...

I was thinking of that the other day as I was spreading some lemon curd on an English muffin. I have not been satisfied with the tartness of my filling, despite the extra zest I used. Lemon curd might be just the thing to solve that problem. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol-blue View Post
Sometimes I think using all fresh lemons you get that tin like taste, even in a glass pie plate. This recipe will not get weepy and the meringue will not get condensation on it due to the cornstarch gel.
Enjoy! Debbie
Quote:
Betty, the fresh lemons have NOTHING to do with the "tinny" taste. I have never used bottled lemon juice and have never had any problem with tinny.
ChefJune...

First off you should get your people straight...

Second- you can get a tinny taste with lemon juice depending on what type of lemons you are using and how ripe...or lack there of they are. I have a lemon tree in my yard and have learned over the years what color they should be in order not to get that tinny taste.

Third- if you don't have a lemon tree in your yard using half fresh and half bottled juice is a good way to insure you don't get that tinny taste if your selection of fresh lemons happens to be less than ideal. Depending on where you live the selection of fresh fruit can sometimes be sadly lacking.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
ChefJune...

First off you should get your people straight...

Quote:
Second- you can get a tinny taste with lemon juice depending on what type of lemons you are using and how ripe...or lack there of they are. I have a lemon tree in my yard and have learned over the years what color they should be in order not to get that tinny taste.
Sorry, I should have said I have never encountered any lemons that produced a tinny taste. Living in the Northeast, clearly I could not have a lemon tree in my backyard (if I had a backyard)!

Quote:
Third- if you don't have a lemon tree in your yard using half fresh and half bottled juice is a good way to insure you don't get that tinny taste if your selection of fresh lemons happens to be less than ideal. Depending on where you live the selection of fresh fruit can sometimes be sadly lacking.
I have never found a bottled lemon juice of a quality that I would use. If you can recommend one, I'd be interested to hear it. The fresh lemons I can find in the grocery store have always been superior to Realemon, or any other bottled juice I've ever seen. and yes, I have tried them.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:

Sorry, I should have said I have never encountered any lemons that produced a tinny taste. Living in the Northeast, clearly I could not have a lemon tree in my backyard (if I had a backyard)!

I have never found a bottled lemon juice of a quality that I would use. If you can recommend one, I'd be interested to hear it. The fresh lemons I can find in the grocery store have always been superior to Realemon, or any other bottled juice I've ever seen. and yes, I have tried them.
I live in a very rural area of Texas...I have to drive 20 minutes to get to the only grocery store in a 50 mile radius of our house. All of the small towns in the area have fewer than 1000 people in them so as you can guess the selection of fresh fruit and vegetables can be very limited at times. Most people around here either grow their own or they buy directly from a farm in the area. Sometimes bottled lemon juice is better than the little shriveled up lemons that we find in the grocery store. I'm guessing that your selection of fresh fruit and vegetables is far superior than what we get.

I happened to find some lemon trees on sale at the feed store a few years ago and planted one in my yard. I've really enjoyed it...it started producing lemons the first year I had it. It is called an Improved Meyer lemon...they can be grown in pots and moved inside the house when the weather gets cold...but living on the Gulf Coast as I do I just planted it in my yard.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None